Chaeto ?

hawkfish203

I have chaeto in my fuge and recently added some other macro algae's and noticed that the chaeto looks like it's dying. Is it possible that the other algae is eating up the nutrients and killing the chaeto? I turned the light on the fuge up yesterday from 10 to 12hrs in hopes that, that might help. Oh I added some caulerpa and some red macro algae's.

snakeblitz33

It's possible. Chaeto needs to "tumble" to get good all around growth, and so that it doesn't build up waste/detritus. Many people use powerheads to make it tumble.
I personally don't like chaeto, and it has never really worked well for me. Caulerpa always seems to work the best for me, that and red grasses and hair algae on algae scrubber screens. Algae scrubbers definitely out compete macroalgaes for nutrients.

hawkfish203

Yea I do have a powerhead in there with it. I've had the chaeto for years and it just started breaking down recently. I'll go grab a new bulb maybe that ones had it. You don't think the other macro algae had anything to do with it tho?

snakeblitz33

Probably not. Usually if you are using a CFL or regular bulb for your macroalgaes, you should replace it every three to six months.
If it's turning yellow and getting stringy your best bet is to change your light bulb and dose an iron supplement. Kents essential elements are perfect for dosing trace elements, including iron, in your system. That will keep it growing green and strong. Iron is essential for algal growth. Pick some up and start dosing. You'll start to notice a difference very quickly.
I run an algae scrubber as my tanks sole filtration system. I have to dose kents essentials for the iron or else the algae starts turning yellow and comes off it clumps.

snakeblitz33

Oh, and the first time you dose it, I strongly suggest dosing double the amount, initially. Then follow the directions after that. It won't hurt anything at all. But, it will replenish those trace elements like Iron that your macro will need to grow.

btldreef

Every time I try chaeto with any other macro besides Grape Caulerpa, it withers away. I've given up with chaeto and also found caulerpa to be much more efficient in removing nutrients. I do think that it's possible that the caulerpa pulls the nutrients out faster than the chaeto does.