Chaetomorpha Macro Algae ?

nimo1969

What is the best way to grow them in my refugium? Tell me if this a good set up ? 1. light is on for about 10 hours (flou light maybe 20 watt maybe more )
2. refugium mud ,live rock and air pump .....
what is the best food to feed them ?
Thanks for any feed back
nimo1969

pontius

Originally Posted by nimo1969
what is the best food to feed them ?
it will grow with light and phosphate (will use up the phosphate from your system). when it grows a lot, you can cut some out to feed to tangs if you have tangs. I also don't bother to change the refugium bulb until it finally blows because the whole point is to grow algae.

joojoo

Feeding the Chaeto to your fish is negating the whole purpose of using it in your fuge... you're just putting the nutrients they take out, right back into the system.

pontius

Originally Posted by joojoo
Feeding the Chaeto to your fish is negating the whole purpose of using it in your fuge... you're just putting the nutrients they take out, right back into the system.

and the algae in the fuge takes it right out again to grow more algae, so it doesn't negate anything.

joojoo

And then you feed it to the fish again and it's put right back in... I thought the point of macros in fuge's was to remove excess nutrients, not keep constant levels.

pontius

And then you feed it to the fish again and it's put right back in... I thought the point of macros in fuge's was to remove excess nutrients, not keep constant levels.
the macroalgae in the fuge feeds on the nutrients, which is made by fish waste etc. so if you have fish in the tank, you have to feed them, right? feeding them the algae from the fuge is not going to produce anymore waste than feeding them flake food. it's a cycle. the algae in the fuge is to keep phosphates, etc in the tank at reasonable levels, feeding the fish is not going to throw the levels into the stratosphere.

joojoo

Exactly, so feeding the fish the macros is putting the phosphates right back in... so it's not going anywhere. When you trim macros, throw it out so you remove the phosphates completely from the system.

meleerock

I have cheato in my cycling and now cycled tank. Within one week it doubled in size. From the results that I have already seen I would recommend it to anyone..... Now if you decide to feed it to your fish or not, that is your own decission. Whatever works, right? :cheer:

pontius

Exactly, so feeding the fish the macros is putting the phosphates right back in... so it's not going anywhere. When you trim macros, throw it out so you remove the phosphates completely from the system.
yes, feeding macroalgae puts phosphates back into the tank.
and feeding flake or frozen food puts phosphates into the tank.
and having aquarium lights put phosphates into the tank.
and fish defecating in the water puts phosphates into the tank.
so I guess what you're saying is the best way to keep phosphates out of the aquarium is to not have an aquarium?? because feeding a fish macroalgae is not going to produce anymore nutrients than anything else you feed them, and it's all going to be used up for the algae to grow in the fuge.
if you have a football sized clump of chaeto in the fuge, you don't feed the whole thing to the fish, you cut off a couple of small strands and give it to them. that is not going to suddenly throw the phosphate levels out of wack.

sjgsm

lol be nice now... I see what he was trying to say... but yeah your going to have the phosphates anyway and they consistantly lower them so its no biggy. lol but anyone who could message me on where to get chaeto? ( mus8t8ang @ yahoo com)lol I haven't been able to find any In Stock for a while.

joojoo

Originally Posted by reeffreakgeek
JoJo open a book....Dang that was a stupid argument!!!!!
I'm sorry you did not approve, but I don't think anybody was arguing here ... and spell my name right next time, k thnx

sfoister

I think your logic is uh... strange, to say the least. If you eat shrimp for dinner and then use the loo the next morning you're not going to see shrimp floating around in the bowl. It's going to be the same basic stuff as if you had eaten a cheeseburger for dinner instead.
Unless you have some magical food that I'm unaware of that prevents the fish from having to go number two there is no real reason to not feed them the algae.

joojoo

Originally Posted by sfoister
I think your logic is uh... strange, to say the least. If you eat shrimp for dinner and then use the loo the next morning you're not going to see shrimp floating around in the bowl. It's going to be the same basic stuff as if you had eaten a cheeseburger for dinner instead.
Unless you have some magical food that I'm unaware of that prevents the fish from having to go number two there is no real reason to not feed them the algae.

O... well... I guess it only makes sense to me then. I agree with him when he said if there is a huge supply of chaeto, then feeding a little bit will not make any difference. But my logic about the exporting nutrients, I think, still makes sense.