chaetomorpha question!!!!!!

tdog7879

i have a 6500k sprial cp bulb when i first got the chaeto it grew alot but i also had alage problems now they are stable. I did go out and got a hadful of the culpra and tossed it in to the fuge. I have heard that you can feed tangs the culpra...is this true if so the i will not have the buy the alage sheets anymore!!!!

jackri

From my understanding the grape caulerpa has mild toxins (correct me if im wrong). Tangs can/will eat some -- but not the best for them as it's more they like to graze on something. Grape caulerpa is great for nutrient removal BUT... can be invasive and really hard to take out of a display tank.
I personally don't think the benefits of caulerpa outweigh the cons when cheato is just soo easy to use.

tdog7879

so the question is..........would you or can you feed tangs the culpra??
Thanks for everyone advise on this topic.
Its good to see some oldschool people
on this topic instead of a newbie throwing
out some random answer.

florida joe

I must state that while I have witnessed the tangs eating the grape caulerpa. It was the result of it getting a foothold in the tank. It was not grown for the specific reason of providing a food source for the tangs. But I did not witness and negative effects.Just as tangs will not eat all algae I think genetic coding would prevent them from eating a toxic food source. IMO

spanko

In one of the local fish stores, while I was still looking for something to eat Caulerpa, and employee took a handful from one of their fuges and threw it into a tank with a bunch of tangs. It was gone in seconds. Like a feeding frenzy you would see on shark week. It did contain some grape Caulerpa also. As with anything this is not a guarantee but at least some anecdotal evidence.