Chain CatShark

shaunda

Wow, that shark is way cool. They get about 40 ft. long tho, pretty hard to put into a normal home aquarium! I would love to see one in person tho.

ackermsb

So they only get about 1.5 feet. I think there on the endangered species list. They also prefer to live below 1350 ft. Now thats one deep tank. If my tank was 1248 feet higher, i could get one

Add on:
A common benthic catshark of the continental shelf and slope of parts of the Northwest and Western Central Atlantic. Its occurrence appears to be patchy and irregular, with adults preferring rough ground, which is difficult to trawl thus providing refuge areas for the species. In the north of its range the species prefers the outer continental shelf, but in the south is generally found below 450 m. The northern population of this species appears to be increasing. This catshark is caught occasionally in bottom longline grouper/snapper fisheries and deep-water trawls, and is collected for the aquarium trade. These impacts are considered minimal given the species' widespread distribution, fecundity (oviparous with high laying rates documented in captivity) and the untrawlable habitat of adults. As such, Scyliorhinus retifer is assessed as Least Concern.

sebae09

The Jaguar shark is a fictional species of shark in the film The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004).

jj_harrison

If it prefers those depths could it be acclimated to home aquarium? Who lives near Chesapeake Bay and can get some eggs?
“Conservation
The chain dogfish is not listed as endangered or vulnerable with the World Conservation Union (IUCN). The IUCN is a global union of states, governmental agencies, and non-governmental organizations in a partnership that assesses the conservation status of species”
“Importance to Humans
Large numbers of chain dogfish are taken as bycatch off the coast of Virginia near the Chesapeake Bay. This species is caught primarily by trawling in waters greater than 240 feet (73.2 m) and at temperatures of 50°F (10°C). At this time, there is little interest in this species as a fishery.
The chain dogfish is a popular aquaria display fish due to its small size.”
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...inDogfish.html

jj_harrison

One web site that said they had them in a tank at 70 deg. they said the hardest part about keeping them is getting a healthy species. I dont know but some one smarter than me could probably tell us if they could be aclamated to 79 deg and shallow depths. or could my Banded be adjusted to 75 to meet in the middle? I want to find some one who could do some diving in virgina to get some eggs =) . or maby I could talk to the aquarium in florida that has them and see what they do to keep them.