Chalice problems

posiden

Sorry for the long read.
I decided to do a thread on my issue. I have been talking about it in another thread of mine that is really not related to this problem. Last week I noticed my new, and my first Chalice coral starting to "melt" away. I have had the coral about a month.(maybe a little more)
When I noticed the tissue recession I started looking into it. The next day I saw some more recession so I did more reading on what might be the issue. I have never experienced any problems with my corals. I have been running this tank for 2 years now. All the corals I have ever put in have done wonderfuly. I have even had 3 different corals pop up out of nowhere. I didn't put them in and they were next to nothing. They must have just been waiting for the right time. So, being the owner of the tank and having corals just pop up. I knew that my water was not the issue. I looked into RTN and it just didn't fit the bill IMO. I then ran across a thread and in the title was Chalice and melting. After give it a glance it was talking about some unknown black bug living under the tissue. It also effects Acans from what I understand, and they were referenced more then twice in the thread.
All the normal dips for corals were gone over and tried. Nothing worked. Then one poped in with the "I used the Intecepter treatment and it worked". The orignal work of this treatment was linked so I read on. Satisfied with what I read and convinced this is what was going on in my tank, I was on a quest for Interceptor. I am now at the end of day 2 of the tissue receding and now it is in drive. I come home on day 3 and the area has doubled. It is no longer a slow thing. So, I do a small amount more in reading and then I was on the phone to any and all local vets. I knew I didn't have time to wait for the UPS man cause this is a frag I am dealing with. While all the vets I called were more then willing to help me out and have helped other reefers out for the same thing...........everyone I called doesn't carry the drug anymore.
On with more reading and burning the midnight oil I come up with a couple other choices of materials to use.
I come home day 4 and the area has yet again doubled in size. Back in the car and I find somthing, and I purchase it. I figured if I am going to loose, I might as well go down fighting. The next day I made a small amount of the "stuff" and do a dip treatment. I soaked the coral for 1 hour. At the 20 min mark I saw the little black bugs coming out. Very small and very slow. I studied my coral through a 10x loop. I also had the "little red bugs" in my tank. They are an SPS bug but, when my Chalice was soaking I saw a couple of them come off and die. I don't know if the two are related or not. I don't think they are.%%
I am not going to disclose the "stuff" I used right now. I am going to treat my entire tank once I get another up ang going. I have a 10 cycling right now. It is almost done with its first week. Once it is done I am going to move my clown and my harlequins in there as I am not prepaird to loose them. I know this like the Interceptor is deadly to pods, crabs, shrimp, ect...

posiden

I decided to use this upset to my advantage. In the process I removed my new frag and then placed it on a new piece of rock I found going through my junk a few days prior to the treatment. I know they aren't the best because of the skeliton being white and the new rock being white.
24 hours after treatment with the "stuff".

This was yesterday. The tissue has started to come back and has recovered just about half the recession. That's right, in 3 days I had regained half the recession.

And, yet again today the tissue is starting to cover more and be more poofy in the areas it has come back on.

posiden

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3146998
OK....OK....What's the STUFF?????

Hi meowzer.
How have you been?
If you are really asking......I am sorry, I cannot tell at the moment. I would hate for someone to kill their fish and blame me for it.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3147010
Hi meowzer.
How have you been?
If you are really asking......I am sorry, I cannot tell at the moment. I would hate for someone to kill their fish and blame me for it.
Doing good...LOL...That's ok...I understand what you are doing completely...I was just teasing you
I like this though.....show it thru pics and document everything

posiden

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3147012
Doing good...LOL...That's ok...I understand what you are doing completely...I was just teasing you
I like this though.....show it thru pics and document everything

I will, I am going to post a pic of it tomorrow as it is then. I do wish I had documented more about what I have done. I tried to get pics of the offending bugs but I just couldn't get my camera to work with me.

posiden

So here is my coral as it is right now. It has filled in more. It does seem to be slowing down a little, which I guess makes some sense.

posiden

Sorry, just another pic. This is now 1 week after treatment.

My 10g is now also at the end of the first week. The cycle is going along nicely. It shouldn't be long before I can move some things over and treat the display.

T

tizzo

The bugs you speak of... are they super tiny and black? About the size of a grain of pepper??

T

tizzo

I read that super long thread you mentioned... I wish I had known about this method shortly after I purchased a rare chalice at $100 an eye!! Glad I only bought 4...
(with extreme sarcasm)

johnr2604

This reminds me of the mutating ich thread. What are you using? If you said what it is maybe people can give you some more insight. You might be surprised what other people have tried. If you don't want to tell can you tell me if this is a mange treatment you are using? Does it contain milicybin oxyme? Or is this a different drug used for the same purpose? Just curious for my own research. Havn't had problems with LPS before but I did a bunch of research when I had redbugs in another aquarium.
The reason interceptor works is because red bugs and red mange are in the same phylum. Milicybin oxyme is listed as a controlled pesticide which is why we have to have a prescription. This is also why it works on parasitic bugs.
There are also other medications that combine the milicybin with other treatments. One of those treatments (milbemax) actually combines it with another medication we actually use in our aquariums. There are also other pestcides that could be effective on them also. Some of those treatments have shown promise but the key is getting the dosing right. If you look on forums in other countries like Australia there is some good info. Seems they cant get interceptor.

windlasher

Originally Posted by johnr2604
http:///forum/post/3149376
This reminds me of the mutating ich thread. What are you using? If you said what it is maybe people can give you some more insight. You might be surprised what other people have tried. If you don't want to tell can you tell me if this is a mange treatment you are using? Does it contain milicybin oxyme? Or is this a different drug used for the same purpose? Just curious for my own research. Havn't had problems with LPS before but I did a bunch of research when I had redbugs in another aquarium.
The reason interceptor works is because red bugs and red mange are in the same phylum. Milicybin oxyme is listed as a controlled pesticide which is why we have to have a prescription. This is also why it works on parasitic bugs.
There are also other medications that combine the milicybin with other treatments. One of those treatments (milbemax) actually combines it with another medication we actually use in our aquariums. There are also other pestcides that could be effective on them also. Some of those treatments have shown promise but the key is getting the dosing right. If you look on forums in other countries like Australia there is some good info. Seems they cant get interceptor.

I agree. I hate these... "Hey I found something New and You can't Have it threads".

posiden

Originally Posted by johnr2604
http:///forum/post/3149376
No, It doesn't contain any Milicybin oxyme.
Originally Posted by windlasher

http:///forum/post/3150002
I agree. I hate these... "Hey I found something New and You can't Have it threads".

I am not saying, due to the fact that someone out there will say that they killed thier tank and it is all my fault. I understand that we all read these boards and implement at our own risk. I also am not saying due to the fact that the dosing is exactly what I am having questions on myself. This is also the main reason (beshides my Harlequins) that I have a 10 gallon tank cycling right now.
I already know that this is used in aquariums. From what I know of it, it is not used to treat anything other then fish. It does however kill the little red bugs and these other bugs that are/were on my chalice. I don't know if the lethal dose for the bugs is too much for fish. From my readings on treatments with this of tanks/fish this is not used per say due to its dificulty of use.

posiden

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3149256
The bugs you speak of... are they super tiny and black? About the size of a grain of pepper??
Yes, they look like pepper. Depending on the grind (size) of your pepper I would say a little smaller. It's hard to believe that such a small bug will kill your coral so fast.

posiden

I re scapped my tank today and it cleared up, so I went and got the camera for a pic and my damsil decided to stir it up again in its new home.
So that is the white stuff on the coral.
Anyway, here is my chalice as it is today.

My 10Gallon is still showing Nitrites so I have not moved anybody over to treat the tank. These pests are still in there. I have been very lucky that they haven't re-attacked my coral. I know cause during the redo of my rock work today I inspected it and found them on my rock. I hope that me disturbing the tank doesn't cause them to "get" my coral again.