Chameleons?

Anybody got one?
What can you tell me about them? All I know is that they are lizards that change color.

tony detroit

Tropical fish pond on woodward between , I think 13 and 12 mile roads always has the best reps. in our area. They always got some wicked exotic stuff in there. They have a pet turtle that walks around the store that's as big as a beachball.

tony detroit

Ask em to feed them, they shoot their tongue out like 5 inches and stick it to a cricket and then suck it back in their mouth in a matter of a couple milliseconds, it's pretty cool.

redwinger

Originally posted by 007
Anybody got one?
What can you tell me about them? All I know is that they are lizards that change color.

I know they can be pretty finicky when it comes to eating.
Savannah Pets on Middlebelt and 7mi has all types of exotics. They also have a 25+ year female tortise walking around the store. The thing is giant. Loves to be scratched on the head and neck.

I havent heard about the first store, but I have been to Savannah before. I got the crap scared outta me once there by an alligator. I was kneeling down looking in the FW tanks. Then i turned around and an alligator was about 6 inches from my face. Behind glass mind you, but freaked me out none the less. Was not expecting that!

D

daniel411

Temp. and humidity are really important for them. You're have to constantly be picking up live food. You should also "gut load" the food before feeding them to the chameleon. Check out www.kingsnake.com (I think thats the address) its good for info on herps. They shouldn't be handled, except when you need to clean their cages.
Each month down in Taylor there is a reptile show in some vfw hall. Its well worth checking out before you buy anything. You can even get animals for free from the herp adoption center there.
There is another place over by 8 mile and telegraph that is scary... but has "wtf is that type stuff". They have two headed snakes, every turtle imagineable including two headed turtles, dozens of Macaws, aisles of snakes, monitors, etc.
Be warned, its probally the worst managed pet store I've ever been too. It literally reeks when you walk in the door. Most of the herps have massive mite infestations. Plus they often have critters that well... they shouldn't.

redwinger

Originally posted by 007
I havent heard about the first store, but I have been to Savannah before. I got the crap scared outta me once there by an alligator. I was kneeling down looking in the FW tanks. Then i turned around and an alligator was about 6 inches from my face. Behind glass mind you, but freaked me out none the less. Was not expecting that!

I like that store. They still have that large gator. I have African cichlids and he has excellent prices for juveniles.
Funny story about that place though. One time when I was in there, I was looking at a tank with some real beat up fish. Community fish. I also noticed that the colony of red pacus they had in there were really red bellied piranhas. I tried to tell them but he was adamant that they were sold to him as pacus. I said, "look at the bites taken out of those fish. Those are piranhas ". Not sure what he did cuz I left after that.

mr. tuna

By the way.. a chameleons tongue is twice the size of its body!!
Pretty cool. I was going to get one, but instead i got a pair of leopard geckos.

frogz

we used to have one but we gave it away. he was very intresting and i liked feeding him out of my hand. their pretty cool lizards