Changed Filter Media - Nitrite up

richl

My water parameters have been good for a long time except for nitrates which are 40 right now. Yesterday, I cleaned out my Fluval FX5 cannister filter. For the first time in 6 months, I changed 50% of the Biomax media. Today, the Nitrite is between 0 - 0.25. but Ammonia is still 0. Just be be safe, I treated with AmQuel. Anything else I should do? I was really surprised to see a nitrite reading. How long will it take the bacteria to get into the new Biomax media? The Fluval book said to change half the Biomax, but should I replaced a smaller percentage? Could this also mean I should have more LR? I have about 80-100 pounds in a 125 FOWLR. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

geoj

I would cut my feeding for a few days. Yes I would say add more bio-filtration. If you like the way the tank looks with the rock you have now then a sump would be how I would add more filtration.

spanko

I would say you released some pent up detritus and was quickly converted by your biofiltration into the nitrates. I would do a water change to bring them down, monitor it for a week and see if it stabilzes again. When was the last time you cleand the filter?

richl

I clean the filter out every weekend, but I usually only change 10 galllons. I thoroughly clean the foam filters, but I only rinse the ceramic Biomax media in tank water. This week I totally changed the Biomax in the middle basket, but left the old media in the bottom basket. I only change the carbon in the top basket every 6 weeks, so I'll do that next week. Will it help if I change the carbon now? Two days ago, I moved my last fish (Flame Angel) from a QT to the DT, so I added to bioload right before lowering the biological filtration. I always thought most of the biological filtration came from the live rock and not the cannister media. Since I changed the Biomax yesterday, I tested parameters today and found some nitrite. The API kit I have shows zero then 0.25 but the color of my test water is definitely lighter than the 0.25 color, so I hope it's only a very small trace of nitrite. I treated with 120ml Amquel this afternoon. How long is this good for? I have 15 gal new SW brewing, so I'll retest tomorrow night and decide what to do then. Any other suggestions? Thanks

spanko

Yeah I think this sounds like you comprimised your biofilter some and say this cause you are seeing some nitrite which in a fully functioning system is not normal. Do the change tomorrow and give it another good testing. Looks like you wil be okay.
Remember that the biofiltering bacteria reside on all hard surfaces in our tank. when you changed out the biomax media you took out a group of bacteria. does sound like you have a goodly amount to keep mostly up with the additional bio load you put in though. I would take a guess and say if the fish had not been added at the same time you would not have seen a change and we wouldn't be talking right now.

richl

Do you think changing the carbon every 6 weeks is often enough? I thoroughly rinse out the carbon bags in salt water between changes.

flower

Originally Posted by RichL
http:///forum/post/3216239
My water parameters have been good for a long time except for nitrates which are 40 right now. Yesterday, I cleaned out my Fluval FX5 cannister filter. For the first time in 6 months, I changed 50% of the Biomax media. Today, the Nitrite is between 0 - 0.25. but Ammonia is still 0. Just be be safe, I treated with AmQuel. Anything else I should do? I was really surprised to see a nitrite reading. How long will it take the bacteria to get into the new Biomax media? The Fluval book said to change half the Biomax, but should I replaced a smaller percentage? Could this also mean I should have more LR? I have about 80-100 pounds in a 125 FOWLR. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

For fish only nitrates are no big deal.
When you clean a canister filter you shouldn't replace the biomax media. You rinse it off in saltwater
. Replace the carbon and Phosban pacs if you use it once a month.
By replacing the biomax you are starting all over to build bacteria. The book says to change half so that you don't over kill the bacteria and save some for rebuilding faster. However you don't have to replace it at all, just rinse it.
I put my biomax in a stocking and tied it off. I just take the stocking and swish it around in saltwater that I took out of the tank during a water change. I clean the filter and do my water change all at once.
Hope this helps.
P.S.
I thought I read nitrate...it is nitrites..sorry. What I said about the filter IMO still stands.

richl

Tested nitrite and ammonia when I got home tonite and both are at zero. I'm glad the nitrite show was momentary, but I'll test frequently for a while. Hey Flower, I like your idea about putting the Biomax in a stocking so you can just swish it around to rinse it out. Do you recommend 'fishnet' stockings or will any kind do? Don't mind me, I'm just happy the nitrites are gone. Thanks

srfisher17

!. I agree with Flower, your nitrates, in a FOWLR, are fine. 2.) There has been a lot written lately about nitrite in SW; lots of info that its harmless. Its unusual to see nitrite and no ammonia. I wonder if you have a bad test kit. 3.) I see no reason to ever change bio-filter material, like Bio-Max, other than to sell more Bio-Max. 4.) I don't think you are, but don't scrub the Bio-Max media---just rinse it. The slime coating is your friendly bacteria.