changed my mind- 5 gal nano ques.

My brother and I have changed our minds and we want to start a 5 gal. nano. I want to use the 5 gal mini bow. I know it comes with lights but I dont think its enough. If I added PC lights how would I do it and how much light should I put in there? it comes with the filter and pump so I guess thats it.
For ls and lr I would probably put like 7-8 lb of lr and like 5 lb of ls. Is this ok? And what kind of fish can I put in there. I would probably just want like 1 fish and a hermit crab. A little anemone would be cool too but Ill discuss that later when I find out about light. Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Alex

o ya i thought that would be a bad idea.
I think im gonna put a 2x13 watt pc retro ki in it. Is that sufficient lighting? What coral could I put in there?

russianspy

Er....They have 50/50 20 watt lights maybe 2 of those would be better, but 2x13 should be Ok as long as you stick with softies that don't sun bask 24/7

Well I think Im jsut gonna go with the 2x13 watt. I want the 5 gal minibow but I dont like the hood it comes with. I dont want to build a top. I found one on a post here where they put a 2x13 watt pc light retro kit in a better canopy. They said they have a 5 gal minibow so im just gonna look for one with a better canopy. Any help with this would be cool!

Ok, I know what Im gonna do..... What kind of fish can I put in there. Is it possible to have a little perc and a clown goby or is this too much. Im guessing with this much light I can have xenia, shrooms, zoos, and polyps. Please help me here.
Thanks,
Alex

russianspy

If thats all the fish you want (1perc & 1 clown goby) that should be fine. I don't know anything about Zoo's but they require more light I think.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by psychoskater
Is it possible to have a little perc and a clown goby or is this too much.

WAY TOO MUCH!!!! I have a 5.5 gallon and I had to remove my perc and shrimp and some corals because weekly water changes did not keep the nitrates low enough and I had a emerald crab die and an ammonia spike ....
I would suggest one small goby if any fish.
You might look @ shrimp and see about some of them ... I have 3 sexy shrimps right now and I love how they look and act in the tank - one or two are always out!!

What about just 1 little perc? I dont want to have nitrate problems.
I got the money right now to get the minibow and the lights.I am planning on going next wednesday after school with my friend. He wants a minibow too.
Do I need about 2 lb per gal. with this system? Is like 5 lb of live sand ok? I want this to go by as smooothly as possible so my dad lets me have this. He thinks that 1 90 gal tank is enough......lol

overanalyzer

I would say 5 pounds would be more than enough sand. You really just need ot coverthe bottom of the tank. ALSO - if go with any fish at all make it the clown goby and not hte perc. Then be sure to target feed the clown goby (which will be very easy) drop a piece of food right by him - let him eat it. Drop a second piece .... slow but will keep your nitrates down!!
NO PERC - sorry in a 5.5 once you add some LR and some sand you will be lucky to 3.5 to 4 gallons of water .... not enough in my opinion to get a clownfish in there. now if you got a baby it would be OK for a short while but I think they produce much more waste then the gobies!!

clown_nut

heh you might be better off buyen a 10gallon-lighthood combo for $25 bucks at say Petsmart. you could buy a couple of 50/50 bulbs to plug in to it and of course just get some sand and lr. It would prolly be more practical in the end...Especialy if money is an issue. Those mini bowls are cheap but...i would not bet my life on that crappy internal filter it comes with. My 10 gallon has a Aqua-Tech 10-20 and a whisper 5-15 powerfilter all together pushing 210gph. Both cheap filters and very affective...But if you do have a little extra cash just buy a 10g tank with a glass canopy and spend a little extra on a good name brand marine lighting hood...if you look around websites you can find some good ones quite cheap...and I don't mean ----...I personaly don't trust it.

Y

yae4volcom

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I would go with a bigger aquarium.

What about the nano cube? I know it doesnt come with a lot of light but what kind of corals could go in there? Im guessing its filter and pump is good. What kind of fish could fit in this? Its 12 gallons.