changing a fresh water to swa

j-ro

Im buying a fw tank and i want to convert it to a swa. now im wondering what i need to do to clean it? tell me what i should do and what i should and shouldnt use for chemicals for the cleaning process. thx

lexluethar

Are you wanting to use your current FW in the tank and convert it into SW? If you are draining it and just buying R/O water i don't think cleaning the tank is necessary, i did the same thing and all i did was wipe down the tank, then went and filled it up w/ R/O water - then mixed the salt in.

lexluethar

That is all i did, just wipe up all the gravel, extra water, algea and stuff. I have only had my tank up for about 2 weeks and i haven't had any problems yet.
Concerning waterflow, i've heard you need to have enough flow to cycle the entire tank 10 - 20 times an hour (depending on what you plan to have). So look at the specs on what you want to buy and try to get a combination of powerheads equalling about 700 gph.
Once again this is just what i've read, there is a great artilce somewhere on the site about flow.