Changing carbon and feeding questions?

I was advised to change the carbon in my canister filter once a month. I think it is definately time, but my tank has been great so far, is once a month too often? What does the carbon filter out exactly? Is there something I can add to work as a skimmer because I have room in my filter for another level of filtration?
Also, I'm sure this has been asked before, but how often does everyone feed? I feed twice a day, frozen brine, dried krill, and every few days I'll stick a piece of algae sheet in there. I never see anyone eat it but the next morning it's gone. So, if my fish are devouring everything in less than two minutes and I have a watchman, cleaner, peppermint that clean up the scraps should I add more?
Before I was fully stocked, I saw multiple bristle worms and a baby brittle star sneak out to clean up the scraps too, plus a hermit. Should I worry that they might not be getting a chance to eat? :notsure:
Last question: Can it hurt the fish to feed them the brine still frozen? I just read the package and it said to thaw it in water, then pour it in, I didn't do this for like a week and my fish still ate it, they just spit it out then sucked it back in, I guess to prevent a "brain freeze"
like a person might get by sucking down a slurpee too fast. The reason I ask this question is because it's easier to just scrape some brine off with a knife and then dip it in the water, but I don't want to hurt my fish?
Thanks in advance for an answers.

earlybird

For feeding it sounds like you are doing good. Thaw the frozen food and drain out the water. This water has a ton of phosphates in it and it's best not to introduce it to your system. I wouldn't worry about your hitchers (worms, crabs), they should be getting plenty to eat. I bet your hermit is eating your algae over night. Next time you leave it out set your alarm and take a peek in the darkness with a flashlight with a red cover (saran wrap). I'd change your filter once a month or more frequently if you can afford to do so.

I use bottled water to thaw the brine, I don't add any water that isn't pure. I give my cats brita water, I am a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that.
Thanks for the advice, I doubt my hermit can swim up to the veggie clip to get the algae sheet, I know my emerald crab can't get there. I think the fish just eat it when I'm not looking.

lion_crazz

As far as carbon, I would actually be changing it more often, unless you are using some extremely high grade, like Chemi-Pure. Carbon takes toxins and impurities out of the water and helps to keep the water clear.
As far as feeding, I would definitely thaw it out first so that the fish can digest it better. Thaw it out in a cup of tank water and get some vitamins to soak the food in such as Zoe, Zoecon, and VitaChem. All three of those are sold on this website for a cheap price.
In all honesty, you should really need to feed that often. You do not have animals that feed constantly like tangs and angels. I would cut it back to once a day and be sure to pick up more variety in the future, such as clam, scallop, prawn, mussel, kelp, spinach, mysis shrimp (or you could just buy different formula foods that already contain a high diversity of foods.)

Thanks.
Any recommendations on food that contains all these things? Vitamins, zoe, etc. This is all new to me. Why doesn't the food contain these things already? I know this is a business but my fish are starting to eat better than me. They are all bright and vibrant, swimming strong, active. Can something go wrong if I'm not spoiling them? :thinking:

mgh

whats up myrtle B- I use the carbon packs for aqua clear. they make it easier. less mess in filter.

lion_crazz

Ocean Nutrition foods are excellent. There are formulas like Reef formula, VHP formula, Angel formula, and formula 1 and 2. I would pick up a combination of these. They are all excellent.
There are tons of vitamins in these foods already, so if you switched to these, you would probably be fine. However, adding extra vitamins ALWAYS helps the fish's immune system and nutrition.
A poor nutrition and a lack of variety will eventually result in the health decrease of your fish.

I will upgrade my food next time I am at LFS, prolly wait till the other is running low, changing charcoal any day now.
MGH, I saw some pics of your reef, although the one you sent by phone didn't go thru. I searched your name, it took like 5min, had to go thru 70 some pages, but got a look at your 30g. I'll let you know when I upgrade to corals. Keep in touch, You're In There Bro.

mgh

got my heater today and the 90 is so close to being set up. Cant wait to stock it. you should allow emails from this site. yitb

cjason3041

carbor becomes ineffective after about 5-14 days...depending on quality, and must be changed to maintain quality.....but i only add carbon an a monthly basis myself

mgh,
I set it up so I can get emails from this site. I never really check my hotmail. So the 90g is almost ready? Do you have a RO unit or are you just gonna go with South Jersey tap? How is the LR seeding project going, that stuff can get pricy? So besides transferring some corals what do you plan on stocking it with?
yitb

mgh

What i do for water changes is use a 5 gal water cooler jug. mix up water, let it sit till im ready for a water change. change water using the water thats been sitting for atleast a week. once im finish i just make more mix for the next change.
Couldn't wait any longer to set it up. Transferred everything this morning. took about three hours. once the cloudiness subsides ill post some pics. as for stock, ive wanted a coral beauty but im nervous. with my luck itll go to town on my corals. hippo tang, another fire fish, some anthias and some more corals.... this sh.. is addicting.

So I guess you just transferred the LR? Did you put corals in there already? I'm guessing you know what you're doing, might want to hold off on fish. Do you fill up the 5g jug with RO water from LFS or walmart or you just use tap? I gotta get one of those jugs.
I would get a flame angel if I had room, but I bet the coral beauty is "coral safe". Good luck with that, I wish I had a camera to post pics, but I don't mess with that stuff.
I'm going to FL next week and I gotta figure out who I can trust not to blow my whole set up. I'm waiting to do a water change until after because I don't want to come home to a bunch of floaters.

mgh

I moved everything, sand water fish rock corals. I use regular old tap water, I just let it sit for atleast a week...ill send pics to your email, its a pain to resize for this site