Changing filter pads on wet/dry filter

giantregal

ok so now i hear we have to change the foam filter pad on the filter, i have just been cleaning mine and putting it back
what type should i get :) there are so many out there
carbon filter pad
ammonia reducing pad
algee reducing pad
regular pad
also on the over flow box the prefilter, do i need to change those?
how about the foam block under the bio balls?
where is the best and cheapest place to buy this stuff?
and how often should i be changing it?

bdhough

i have a wetdry, minipenguin, and have gone without the pads without noticing any effect for several months now. your main filtration will all be done in the tank with whatever live rock you have. it contains all the bacteria and organisms, big and small, that you need to keep your water clean. its only when you start adding chems and food, or overstocking the tank with fish, that your filtration will be tested. overfeeding will lead to excess nutrients in the tank that the life in your tank can not take care of in a quick manner and lead to problems of nitrates and phosphates in the water. overdoing chems can be toxic depending on the chem. i have generalized things but i think you get the point.
there are some benefits to the filter though. it is an extra space out of the tank that is easily controlled by you. you can put a sponge there to collect large debris floating around. carbon helps to absorb impurities in the water and with frequent changes can keep it crystal clear. you could add a phosphate absorbing media or double up on anything youve mentioned if you have the space. keep in mind all medias need to be changed on a frequent basis which can cost money. there again they are not mandatory to have so you could do without for whatever period you want. another use for the filter is water turn over. it greatly helps to oxygenate the water and helps to chrun up the surface of the tank. if placed in a strategic spot it can work in conjunction with your power heads to create water motion in the tank. you should almost think of it as a giant out of water power head. heck if you can fit it, you could stick a clip light on the filter and add some sand and a few small pieces of rock. just be carefull it doeson't get in the impeller.

blemmy_guy

Which filter pad are you talking about??? The blue one above the bio balls or the one between the bio balls and the return pump?? Todd

ophiura

Prefilter sponges: Should be rinsed frequently (weekly at least, IMO)
Anything between the overflow and the bioballs - rinsed/replaced frequently
Sponges after bioballs - optional to have or not (may help control bubbles) - rinse frequently.
IMO, rinse all sponges/filter pads frequently as they trap debris that otherwise can impact water quality. Rinse them to remove this. But without prefilters and perhaps even a filter pad above the bioballs, additional waste can accumulate on the bioballs which may cause issues.

ophiura

:D

BTW, I would just put a plain old filter pad in there. Not ammonia reducing, not carbon (IMO), etc. Maybe a polyfilter now and then. But generally just a plain old pad so you will replace it more frequently :) The more expensive things are, the less inclined we are to ditch them when we should :yes:

blemmy_guy

Originally Posted by ophiura
:D

:) The more expensive things are, the less inclined we are to ditch them when we should :yes:
That is sooo True! Good point also.
Todd :D :D

dskidmore

A co-worker of mine uses batting from the craft store. You can get a square yard of it pretty cheap and cut it up to the size of the filter pad. Then you can just pitch the pad every week without worrying about the cost.
He built his whole multi-stage wet/dry filter for his fish only tank: http://www.drdsnell.com/fish/images/55filter01.jpg
P.S. Make shure you don't get the stuff with the fire-retardant coating.