changing freshwater to salt

annnes

How hard would it be to change an existing freshwater tank to salt? Is it to the point of taking it outside and totally disguarding everything?i.e. heaters....buying new filters..everything?:confused:

O

ogdog30

what type of equipment are we talkin' about
BTW heater should be fine

annnes

The aquarium started as a basic salt tank that only had fish but after college i tried to move it and lost everything, When i moved here I was broke so I started only a basic freshwater but still left the coral gravel in it I just rinsed it for hours and didnt have any problems for 8 yrs I lost power in a storm and lost all. the filter is just a whisper type and the heater is just a tube heater. I am thinking that the gravel should be disguarded but not sure. IM gonna have to buy lights

snipe

I would take the tank empty the water and pour it down the drain. Then take everything all deco and substrate out of the tank and place it in a tote and place it in your closet. Take all the equipment and do the same. If you want to reuse the equipment then get some white viniger and wash it out very good with a tooth brush. Now take the tank outside with a towl and white viniger whipe it down cover everything then wash out with the hose and whipe dry. Take it back in the house place on stand put the stuff back on the tank. Dont place water in it yet. Go to store what ever you want that sells salt equipment buy some salt there are many diffrent ppl that buy many diffrent types of salt I buy instant ocean for the availability and the volume and price, get a refractometer while your there. Go home fill the tank with RO or Distilled water place the salt in the tank using the directions on the container try and get your salt around 1.026. Get your temp up to around 80 then Buy live sand search google for a "sand depth calculator" and figure for a 4" sand bed for a reef and a 2" sand bed for fish only then go and buy the sand. Dump the sand it it will be cloudy but thats alright let it settle. Then order your live rock "as mutch as you can afford". If you can afford alot of rock say for a 55 around 100lbs that would be enough to cycle the tank I would still add a shrimp or two to cycle the tank. If you can only afford alittle live rock place the shrimp in there still I used 4 in a 55 probly would only need 2 or 3.

annnes

iVE NEVER TRIED SAND IVE EITHER HAD CORAL GRAVEL OR NOTHING LIKE I NOW HAVE IN MY 90 GAL REEF. WHATS THE ADVANTAGE of sand is it a better purifier or something?

snipe

Well first sand is more natural to the inverts and burrowing fish and to a saltwater tank period. It is also a good way of filtration "since it dont use electricity" If you use a deep sand bed you can use it to remove nitrate's but it wont be a big jump at removing them but it will help.