changing from rock bottom to sand?

scooby8

could anyone advise me on how to properly confert my tank bottom from rock to sand.
do i remove the fish?what do i do if i currently dont have a extra tank to hold them?how will this change over effect my water levels?
65 gal, w/d , fo
1 emperor juv i/o
1 humma triger
1 tang
1 danmsel
happy new year to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm going to be doing that in a few days. Taking out all my crushed coral, fish, live rock, and converting my tank into a FOWLR to a full reef. You must first take out the LR, then take out the fish, then just scupe out the Crushed coral or what ever substrate you have.

scooby8

i dont have any live rock and the bottom is currently crushed rock.how long does it take for the sand to settle and would it be ok if i used live sand or do you recommend something else? why do you think i have a large bioload? thanks for your advice.

jstrong

some say couple of days, some say couple of weeks... i just changed over to sand 3 days ago. it looked like milk for the first 2, today i am able to see alittle...

P

pirate_bob

I don't know if i read right.... but when you take out what ever is in the bottom right now... you want to put it in panty hoes... then place them all along your tank on top of the sand after you add it... the bottom if its been cycled will need to help cycle your sand when you put it in so you don't have a whole new mini cycle.... i could be wrong but i think you want to keep those on top of the sand for about a week or two to help transfer the bacteria from the substrate right now to the sand...

R

randy 12

Helped a buddy add more sand to his FO tank. I can't remember the brand... maybe nature's ocean. It's not live sand. We kind of rinsed it but not really well at all. Just added some water, stirred and poured out what remained floating. Did that twice and let it soak overnight. Then took a scoop and lowered it into the water and poured it in. It was cloudy for a few hours and then cleared right up. It never got milky looking. It just looked like there were a lot of bubbles.
Maybe it had to do with rinsing a little or maybe just it being wet before putting it in.