Changing my HQI's

J

jjs

I'm changing my 250 watt 15,000k hqi's and wanted to know if anyone out there has any advise on a good bulb. I was looking at the aqualine ab 20,000k, but am worried it might be too blue. Ushio, aqualine, pheonix, xm? Any knoledge on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks

aquaguy24

for best par and color i hear good things about phoenix 250w 24k..its as blue as some 20k but has better par then some 10k out there..thats what i will be getting when i change my bulbs..but wait for the pro's to chime in before coming to a conclusion..

J

jjs

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2770484
wait do u have SE or DE..as hqi can be both..
I'm not familiar with the terms SE or DE. What does that mean and will it affect the bulbs I can use?

J

jjs

This looks to yellowish right. These are 15k cheap chinese bulbs. Doe the 14k pheonix look more blue?

aquaguy24

yeah pheonix 14k(made in Japan) are as blue as some 20k..waay bluer then ur pic...SE mean single ended (mogul) and DE means double ended..yes it will effect the bulbs u can use...

aquaguy24

lookn at ur pic..ur ballast might be causing it to look yellow aswell..wat kind of ballast are u using..did u get them from e-bizzy?

J

jjs

I thought all hqi's were double ended. The ballasts are only 7 months old and the bulubs in place are manufacturer recomended. Do you think the ballast is the cause of the yellow effect?

aquaguy24

yeah e-bizzy sells the same stuff as aqua trader...give the pheonix bulbs a try..if ur tank still look kinda yellow or white..i'd consider changing the ballast also...

J

jjs

I saw a pic of Johncat24's 120 has the same fixture with the pheonix bulbs. It look's really tight. I ordered them last night!

todj2002

i got my 250 watt mh 24" from e bizzy and i replaced the ballast with an ice cap and replaced bulb with a 14k and the difference is crazy. with the money i spent i should have just got a name brand to begin with. lesson learned.

aquaguy24

tank looks sweet..i made the switch to pheonix also about 3 months ago..lovin the colors now...but i might try xm 20k next just to see how much color i can get from these corals..