Changing out water for my reef...

nordy

My lights are in and running, got the in tank fuge and chaeto installed, the puffer has a new home, and I am now waiting for my RO/DI unit to arrive next week. Before I think about starting with corals, etc, should I go ahead and start changing out water with the good stuff? I have previously used tap water (I know, bad me) for all changes so even though ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at zero now there is the issue of having a tank full of tap water.
Suggestions about how to do this change and at what point I could consider stocking the tank?
Thanks!

spanko

Yes if it were me I would begin to change ou the water with new before proceeding. I would do this even if I did not know if my tap was good or not because I worry, that's what I do. If you know the TDS of the tap water you used and it is zero or very close to it maybe you will be okay.
"The solution to pollution is dilution!" Don't remeber who said that but it certainly fits in this hobby.

superman59

Ive been in this hobby for a longtime and some the nices tanks ive seen use tapwater because all the wasted water used in ro units. not that ro is not the way togo(i use it for my tank) Its just cool to see what work for different people.

jhuggins

When I first set up my tank I had the same problem. I had a massive hair algae out break so I bought the RODI unit. I did regular water changes and was able to add corals with out any problems.

nordy

Thanks for the replies. I think I will do a couple of 20% changes (and some more research!) with the RO/DI filtered water before stocking any corals.