Changing PC Bulbs

olsenjb

Just wondering how often all of you change your PC bulbs? I am running a Custom SeaLife Retro-Kit 4x65W w/ 2 8,800K and 2 Actinic. They are coming up on being 1 year old, and I assume I will be needing to change them soon.

quazi

From what I hear, 1 year is about right for PCs. Are you having any tank changes? Decreased coral growth, increased algae growth?

olsenjb

So far, so good. I am having great spread and growth of my star polyps and mushrooms. No algae outbreaks. My bulbs are about 10 months old right now.

ophiura

Just changed 'em...about 11 months old. Part of my algae eradication battle. Will probably get it under control right about the time the bulbs start to turn south again :D

mdhyde

look at your bulbs are they turning black on the end? If not, they should still be good. Also do you have just enough like for your tank, not enough or, like most people, overkill on the lighting for better growth?
If you have just right amount, change every year.
Not enough light, change at 6 months.
More than enough light, let them be for 2 years. As the bulbs age they lost their strength, but still put out good light. So if you have plenty of lighting a 96 watt PC may still be putting out only 70 watts after a year, but it still puts out good light. Just a cost saving measure. Electricity is still cheaper in the long run that buying a $50 bulb when the old one still works, just to get a few extra watts.
I have used bulbs up to 4 years!

rook

Also, try not to change all the bulbs at once. After a year the pc bulbs will not be the same intensity as new bulbs. If you change from all year old bulbs to all new bulbs, you will have an algea problem.
Also, alternating the bulb changes will keep a relative constant amount of light in the tank. I say alternate every six months.

olsenjb

My tank is a 55, and I have a total of 260 watts, so I would say I fall somewhere in the "Just Right" range. I like the idea of changing 2 bulbs every six months...keep the cost spread out and the light intensity more even as well.