Changing setup

brad15

New member -- Need advice!!! I have a 125 SW with 150lb LR and I started it as a reef but just needed a change so I want to set it up as an aggressive setup. I moved all the small fish and corals to a 55gal setup and the only thing left in the tank is a 6" yellow tank and 4" tomato clown. Now would it be to much to add blue dot puffer, harlequinn, pinkface wrasse, and a couple triggers maybe clown and humu humu? And if so is there any order in which I should add them?? Filtration is not a problem and neither is skimming?? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!

grouperhead

A clown will get too big for a 125. If you want a trigger, go for one of the mellow planktonic species such as pinktail, niger, Hawaiin black, blue jaw, sargassum, etc. They would do much better with your fish. When you say pink-face wrasse are you referring to Thalassoma lunare?
With fish you are interested in, here's what I'd do...
Australian Harlequin tusk
Male bluejaw trigger
Blue-dot puffer
pink-face wrasse
Add them in that order, with the wrasse being the smallest.
Bo

brad15

Yeah it was a Thalassoma wrasse. Is that a nice wrasse for coloration? Why the order of biggest to smallest ?? Wouldn't the smaller fish be more prone to being picked on?? and I have one more question that I've heard different fish stores and people say is that fish only get as big as the environment in which they exist allows?? Is that even remotely true or are these people full of sh_t!!! Just wondering Thanks

grouperhead

Harlequin tusks are the most passive of those species, thus adding it first and getting it established would be best. Bluejaws are next on the list, then blue-dot triggers who can be a bit pugnacious at times. Lunare's are the most aggressive of the bunch, so adding them last when everything is already established is best. How established is that yellow tang? He could be a problem to new additions.....A fish will not grow to the size of their home. That is a myth. Bo

jumpfrog

That stocking order isn't so much in regard to size as their willingness to accept new neighbors. Correct me if I'm wrong Bo.
And no, SW fish will not stay small in a small space. That is true with some FW fish which secrete a hormone that governs their growth rate.
Good luck with your new adventure and welcome to the board!

grouperhead

What jumpfrog said is also very true. Most Thalassoma sp. wrasses won't accept newcomers very well, but they do fine with tankmates that are already established when they are added. You also want to add the most aggressive fish last so it won't dominate the tank. Bo

brad15

The yellow tang has been in the tank for about 1 1/2 years and not long ago I adopted a very sick frail small yellow tang about 2 1/2" and nursed it back to health and put it into my 125 to see what would happen. The big tang was very tense and upset so i sectioned the tank off for the evening and sometime during the night it slipped through and by morning i turned the lights on and they were together and were buddies ever since it was like a big brother to the little guy and I knew yellow tangs weren't supposed to get along to well - but now he's in the 55gal SORRY for the story but it was cool he never bothered the big tomato and since i've changed the setup I've also changed the rock work for more swimming area so I don't think he should be a problem? And just for clarity SW fish will out grow their environment right???

azeritis

Even if the fact that fish will only grow as much as their environment allows them was true, putting a clown trigger or a tanq in a 50 g tank would definitely not be ok... From what I read how much and how fast a fish will grow depends on the types of food it receives and not how big the tank is. You must realize that there are proccessed foods available today is such variety that a fish in an aquarium will probably get all the vitamins, proteins fats, etc it needs to grow. In addition, these fish are caught in the wild, so unless you get a midget monster of nature which is not fed properly, it will probably get close to its normal size. There are fish that outgrow the tanks they are placed in, so suggestions you will get in this forum, or by various authors refer to minimum tank requirements.
Since you are new to the board, you will see that it is really helpful and the people are there to answer and suggest solutions to problems readily. I had a tank set up for 3-4 years, but when I found this forum I really got answers to questions, solutions to problems, and suggestions for reading (really important), that the lfs people did not offer or know.
I have recently read that a damsel will defend in the wild a territory equall to several square meters, so you can understand the stress that a confined environment will put on a larger species...
Finally as with people, fishes's immune system weakens if they are stressed (aggressive tank mates, poor water conditions, inadequate hidding places, etc) with all the consequences that this implies....
PS. I had a clown trigger in my 90 when i had it in the States, and I eventually had to give him away cause he outgrew my tank. So I am speaking from bad experience.(The lfs owner never told me that this will happen when he sold me the fish, and unfortunately i was not aware of the forum, and had not read as many books as should have)

brad15

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad to finally find somewhere to ask questions no matter how stupid they sound and get answers and opinions thanks a bunch