changing stands question

cdubbs

I have my 55gal reef on a regular iron stand and just got a nice wooden one for xmas. If i put the new one right next to the old one, how much water should i take out to make a safe move to the new stand? I will take out all the rock and coral and put in rubbermaids but will leave about 40lbs of sand in it, would it be safe to move as long as 2 people can pick it up?Im thinking take out like 20 gallons of water and doing a 20gallon water change. What ya think?

erock412

that would leave you with 35 gallons of water... at 8 lbs/ gal that would be 280lbs, plus 40 lbs of sand. i mean its possible, but with all that water sloshing around it might be a bit awkward, as well as heavy. I'd say take out as much water as you can. once you get it on the new stand, put some LR back in, and when you return the water to the tank, pour it slowly over a piece of rock, as to not disturb the sand.

gmann1139

Water is approximately 8 lb/gallon.
Tank is probably... 50 lbs itself? Plus the 40lbs of sand.
If you leave ten gallons of water in there, its 170 lbs. That's a lot for two people to lift and manuveur.
I would get down as far as you can. Sand should stay wet, but not much more.
You can get 5 gallon pails at Home Despot for a couple bucks. Well worth it, IMHO.