changing substrate???? multiple questions

hrdfrntr95

thinkin bout changin the substrate in my 30 gallon. right now i have a crushed coral/sand mix that im not happy with. the tank has been setup since jan. this year. and has 4 damsels,scooter blenny,CBShrimp. shunk shrimp,some hermits and 2 clown gobies.
1.....i want to go with just a sand bottom, maybe black but not sure, is it possible to just chane the substrate like that or not a good idea?
2.....what will be the concearns in doing this? what about my fish?
i would be keeping the water thats in it and the live rock and just re adding it to the tank once done.
3....if i go to a sand substrate how long before i could re-add the fish,water,rocks and everything else?
4....the other problem i have is i dont have another tank to house anything in other than my 75 and a 10. will the fish be ok in a 30 gallon tube?
thanks for all the info on this matter
dj

hrdfrntr95

well i guess its not a good idea since everyone here seems to be ignoreing the question.
thanks anyways...........

del_rn

I did it without any difficulty. I didn't have any fish at the time but I had tons of shrimp, brittle star fish, hermit crabs, snails. I have a 70 gallon tank. I kept the water that I took out and took out the live rock, I scooped out 90% of the crushed coral and added sand. I didn't get all the shrimp out of the tank, but they all made it just fine. I put in the sand, it was really cloudy but I put the rock right back in and all the shrimp and things. They did just fine, since I put all the same water back in the tank. I would say go for it. I would think your fish would do just fine. My tank cleared up mostly by that night and it was very clear in the morning. My tank has been healthier since I did that. Good luck!! I just did this a couple of weeks ago and my tank has also been up since Jan too.

heatheryjoy

The trick is to add dry sand. That way you don't have to worry about an ammonia spike from any die off. I just recently did this too. I did wait a couple of days because after adding the sand the tank was so cloudy. But it cleared up within 4 days.

hrdfrntr95

thanks.........i wouldnt be worried bout my crabs or shrimp but the damsels,gobies and the blenny i wouldnt want to drop right back into it due to the sand particle in the water........
just wondering if they would survive in a small 10 gallon tank for a day or 2?

emilaya101

I'm pretty sure the sand will not hurt the fish.... I haven't done this myself , but I have heard from many people that It won't affect them. As far as the 10 gallon goes, if you can't get a bigger tank, you could go woth a temporary rubbermaid container. Wish you luck. :)