changing tanks - needs advice

alsie

Finally found another 54gal corner bow tank with predrilled corner overflows and want to switch over and needs some advice.
1) Want to add sand & have a thicker base (go from 4" to 6") Should I put new sand on top or bottom? Should I try and clean sand base when I take out? (do have some diatoms). If I should clean - should I just rinse with RO water or what?
2) Placing LR should I still leave space to clean with magnet or leave room for the family to swim and hide behind? Should I try and LR of sand etc with a soft brush or just leave the way it is?
3) Will do my 10% water change when changing over.
If you would advise I would appreciate it.

adrian

I would transfer everything as is, then slowly add new sand to your exsisting sandbed, maybe a half inch every week or so, you dont want to suffocate any existing organisms and bacteria. Just mix in the new sand a little. Dont rinse your existing sand! Leave the live rock, place it as you wish, I would leave room for cleaning and create places for fish to retreat. Do you water change a week or so after the transfer, you dont want to do it right away, your tank may go through a short cycle and a water change will only prolong it. HTH

alsie

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Adrian. Will take your advice. Another question: I have 2 bubble tipped anenomes - should I leave them on LR they have picked (Say put in seperate buckets with tank water) or should I carefully take them off? I tank any one that answers.

adrian

Leave the anemones on their rock, you could damage them trying to get the off, once you get them into the new tank they will most likely move anyway. HTH