Changing Tanks

drock77

I am about to change tanks from a 58 oceanic to a 110. Here is my plan on how I am going to do it and any recomendations would greatly be taken. I have many pieces of coral and about 7 fish. I also have 60pds of LS and about 35pds of LR. My thought was to put my fish in my QT and get another QT for my coral and I have a cheapy compact florescent to sit on top for a couple of days. I just bought 25pds of base rock, 25pds of Fiji rock, 60 pds of LS to add to the tank. I want to take all of the LS and LR out of my 58 and place it in with the new stuff in the new tank. Then I want to take my bio balls that is in my built in sump on my 58 and put them in my new wet dry I bought for the 110, taking the ones that came with the new filter out of course. Then take all the water out of the 58 and transfering it to the 110 along with about 65 more gallons of RO salt water. BIG QUESTION .... Will my tank cycle and kill all of my stuff and is this a good way to go about a quick change? HELP ME PLEASE :help: :notsure: Also does adding LR later on hurt my tanks levels?

wax32

Adding all that new LR will likely cause a cycle, unless you know for sure it is WELL cured and you don't let it dry out getting it home.
You can add small amounts of cured LR later with no problems.
Technically you should quarantine LR to make sure it has no evil hitchhikers, but almost noone does this.

reeffeer

well before moving fish to new qt tanks those must be cycled as well. and i think you must be prepared to leave them in there for more than a few days. why? because adding new live rock will cycle the tank. remember you must let the beneficial bacteria catch up to the new load in the new tank before adding the livestock. it will ccle quickly but nonetheless cycle. i dont know what kind of fish you have but id add them in slowly as well as to not shock the system. it will take a while before your seeded system will kick in. good luck and congrats!
jer

wax32

If you see a high ammonia reading your tank is cycling. Search the forums for more info about cycling if you aren't familiar. Basically when your ammonia and nitrites test zero and your nitrates are OK (views differ on the amount, but should be low... 20ish or so.) Your cycle is done and you can re-add your fish.. slowly, testing for ammonia each day.