Changing tanks

jraven

I just got my 300 gallon tank. I currently have a 100 gallon tank. I need to set up my tank in the same place the 100 gallon is in. How do I keep my fish and empty the old tank and cycle the new one without my current fish dieing? Thanks in advance.

mistergn10

I think is have seen the stores around Atlanta let you bring your fish in while you move or change tanks. Not sure if they charge or it is free

jraven

I live in Orange county, CA and it is tough to find someone to watch them. Everyone is at capacity.

unleashed

1st move all your stock into buckets coolers what ever you can save as much water as pos.
relocate the 100 in your house put everything back in the 100 just enough to keep it going.set up the 300.where you want it .you can seed the 300 by placing LR and substrate and 50% of the water from the 100 gal as time goes by each time you do a water change add more to the 300 this will make the change over much easier with no acclimation time they will be place basicly into there own water.if all goes well I will be doing just the same thing here.hope this helps.its a pain no matter what you do but will be worth while in the long run.this will also speed up your cycle time from months down to weeks

aquaengine

Just remember that the tank is merely glass. You don’t cycle the "tank" you cycle the contents. This means that your current 100 gallon substrate is "cycled". That is if you plan to use the contents from your old Glass Container. But should you stock out the 300 you may kick off another cycle, but if you keep all the sand, LR, filter media, and as much water as possible you can gradually increase you stock with no problems. Good question!

jraven

Should I just put everything from the 100 gallon in the 300 and just fill the rest up with salt water and put the fish right in?

unleashed

if you had a 200 gal upgrade that would work but your going up an extra 200 gal it would reduce the bacteria to such a minimal amount that the tank would have to go through a full cycle to reach proper levels of bacteria which woulod definatly cause undue amount of stress on your fish.basicly the same principal of no more than a 50% water change to a fully cycled tank

aquaengine

Not true. I regularly do a 2/3 (about 2 a year) water change with no problems. The water does not increase or decrease the bio load. The bio concentration in the water does change but that is an insignificant portion of your bio filtration. You can do a switch out but just don’t increase the number of fish. Make sure the new water is filtered and not right out of the tap or it is a different story. And also make sure all your parameters match up. also try to keep your old substraight at the top of the bed.