Changing to live sand?

badasstang

I will be moving in a couple of weeks, and want to change my crushed coral to live sand when I set the tank back up again. I have had this tank up and running for 2 1/2 years, mainly was set up for seahorses, though that never happened. I have a False Percula in there, and a big chunk of live rock. I have been using a canister filter, but when I go to live sand (and more live rock) will replace that with a couple powerheads. I will be turning it into a reef tank of sorts, nothing fancy, just a few corals and couple fish.
However, if I keep say 1/2 of the water I have now, and when I set it up, will it be ok to pitch the crushed coral and go directly to the live sand? Or would this cause too much cycling? Any suggestions on making the transition?
If it matters at all, it is a 35 gallon hex.

chat noir

im debating whether or not to switch, but am also unsure if ill be throwing the water parameters all outta wack. Although, if an already established tank with lots of LR, i dont see why it cant be done.when you get an answer, can you msg me, ive been asking the same question now for a wk without any answers. :notsure: