Changing Water

barronsmom

We are doing our first water change...I have salt but don't know how much we add...if we change 10% (5 gal) we'll add 5 gal. back...but how much salt do you put in 5 gals? Is there a formula? A cup of salt per gal or anything like that?

tropills

around 3.5 cups will give you 1.025, start with 3 cups and adjust from there.
should give you a good starting point..
This is per 5 gallons NOT per gallon.

hot883

The bag or box should tell you on the side. I think they are all 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water.

barronsmom

There wasn't a formula or anything on the bucket...we ended up using 4 cups for 10 gallons and it was right on!! Thanks! I love this site!!!

tropills

Originally Posted by BarronsMom
There wasn't a formula or anything on the bucket...we ended up using 4 cups for 10 gallons and it was right on!! Thanks! I love this site!!!
4 cups sounds light ??? what SG did you end up with ?? remember to let it desolve good before you test it...
Greg

scrapman

No magic formula.
Learn to do it the right way
READ THE DIRECTIONS on the marine salt (not water softener salt) package.
Mix it accordingly with a PH. Let it oxygenate for 24 Hrs at the proper temp. Check the SPG.... Then (only then) you pump it to your DP.

barronsmom

Whats a swing arm?
I've tested the water 4 times since the water change (I'm a little nervous) and everything seems right...

tropills

Originally Posted by BarronsMom
Whats a swing arm?
I've tested the water 4 times since the water change (I'm a little nervous) and everything seems right...
a swing arm is the real cheap type hydometer looks like a plastic box with a weighted arm that goes up and down. numbers on the outside tell you what the salinity is.. By the way what is yours after your water change ???
and i'm sure are doing this but make sure you are letting it stand and disolve
like scrapman said.