Changing XP Pro License?

stdreb27

Does anyone know of a good program that will allow me to change XP Pro licenses? Appearently someone reinstalled windows, then got lazy and inputed a license different than the sticker. And I need to change that back to what it should be.

lexluethar

If you have the CD you can do a repair installation of the OS. This will keep your personal files in tact, as well as the programs you have already installed. The only downside is you will have to reinstall the updates and reactivate with the product license (in your case the correct one :)).
If you don't have the CD or can't get one (could burn a .iso file downloaded from any source), you can edit the registry. Here are some guides given by MS.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874
Before doing either of these be advised that you should backup everything! Hope this helps.

stdreb27

I'm trying to avoid that. But good news, it seems that magic jelly bean is messing up. Because I've run it on machines that I know I installed XP on correctly with the correct code and it is the same license... So I'm not going to worry about it, and am going to get a new license finder...

lexluethar

Use Belarc Advisor if magic jelly bean is still messing up- it will give you the product license for all software packages installed and it is free. I used it at our work as well.
You never know, I don't advise people on illegal activities which is why I wanted to clarify :)
Lemme know how it goes!

dragonzim

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2999243
Use Belarc Advisor if magic jelly bean is still messing up- it will give you the product license for all software packages installed and it is free. I used it at our work as well.
You never know, I don't advise people on illegal activities which is why I wanted to clarify :)
Lemme know how it goes!
I highly recommend Belarc Advisor as well

lexluethar

It should, just works w/ the OS and will create an HTML printout of all software licenses and product keys installed on the system as well as giving you the hardware specs.
Just install it and give it a whirl, it is free, doesn't take up any space, and is extremely easy to use.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2999306
It should, just works w/ the OS and will create an HTML printout of all software licenses and product keys installed on the system as well as giving you the hardware specs.
Just install it and give it a whirl, it is free, doesn't take up any space, and is extremely easy to use.
Now I am confused, that is giving me the same license key. As MJB...

lexluethar

THen that is your license key. DId you already change it and now it should be something different?
Now you've confused me... I thought you said MJB was messing up which is why i suggested belarc advisor. How was it messing up?

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2999324
THen that is your license key. DId you already change it and now it should be something different?
Now you've confused me... I thought you said MJB was messing up which is why i suggested belarc advisor. How was it messing up?
I ran the MJB software. And was getting the same key for completely different computers. Even computers that I personally installed XP PRO then typed in the oem code on the sticker on the back of the computer. So I assumed it was in error. Now with the other software, I'm getting the same license key as before. Not the one I used when installing the software. unless somehow, Dell uses the same key no matter where the computer was build then sticks a different OEM sticker on there and that overrides the key I typed in while installing the OS. Then I'm completely thrown for a loop.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2999337
I ran the MJB software. And was getting the same key for completely different computers. Even computers that I personally installed XP PRO then typed in the oem code on the sticker on the back of the computer. So I assumed it was in error. Now with the other software, I'm getting the same license key as before. Not the one I used when installing the software. unless somehow, Dell uses the same key no matter where the computer was build then sticks a different OEM sticker on there and that overrides the key I typed in while installing the OS. Then I'm completely thrown for a loop.
I believe that when you order OEM licenses from Dell that they do use the same license code on many machines.

lexluethar

Well I would agree with you that it could have been an error. But the more software packages giving you the same codes, the more i'm apt to believe the key codes are correct. Perhaps they got changed at some point.
I don't know if dell uses the same key codes or not. Either way just change the product codes to the correct ones found on the computer cases.