cheap base rock

overanalyzer

make it - cheapest way to go - do a search for aragocrete and you will see some pictures. I just placed a picture int he 6 pack thread as well. Take a look @ the pieces I put in the 6 pakc thread in this forum then go to the nano forum and check for my 20 gallon nano pictures .... let me know if you can tell the difference.
Also hawaiian island base rock is pretty cheap - butbase rock is generally cheapeast @ your LFS

kpk

couldnt find your pics and will the concrete hurt anything will it leach chemicals were exactly are your pics
what kind of sand would i have to use any or is there a certain one
tell me your receipt if thats ok
thanks

angelofish

I tried to make my own but the curing process was taking too long for me. I bought some Hawaiian base rock and seeded it with LR.I also bought some little by little from my LFS for $2/pound.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by kpk
couldnt find your pics and will the concrete hurt anything will it leach chemicals were exactly are your pics
what kind of sand would i have to use any or is there a certain one
tell me your receipt if thats ok
thanks

The pics are in the equipment/do it yourself section under the DIY six pack.
You have to cure it in freshwater with a littel white vinegar and lots of water movement. I used southdown sand and portland cement ....
let me know if you want more info .... or go to google and type in aragocrete .....

n2deep

Overanalyzer,
How long did it take? how much vinegar to water did you use? how often did you change it out?

D

daniel411

You can find live rock around for as little as $4 dollars a pound. I'm really leary of useing base rock as bad algae and such "may" get a firm grasp on it before coraline and such does.

squidd

I also "made" some "Agrocreate" base rock...I used portland Tile Grout (white) and the crushed coral that "used to" be on the bottom of my tank.
The Garf site has some information and recipie's for different variations/shapes..
Curing took 4-6 weeks/with waterchanges (FW) I added a small amount of Muratic acid to speed curing and to open the texture of the finished product...clean shells exposed...
Test PH of curing tank water till it drops to a usable level..
A small amount of micro algae will grow on the rock before coraline takes over, But but it blends in the "Bareness" of the rock till you get some color.
Does not leach in bad chemicals...sorry
:cool: