Cheap lighting

landolakes

Wife is upgrading my lighting for my birthday and was wondering if anyone knows of less costly lighting options or websites that offer( read I am cheap between the lines) good deals on lighting. I want at least 200 watts and 48"

adamc1303

If you want a new oc fixture than than the cheapest will be the Jebo ones n that site. You can do some searches on this site and read the feedback on the fixture from other members. I would personally try to purchase a new fixture using this site or other sites on the internet and get something slightly used but much better.

saltfan

Originally Posted by landolakes
I am looking for either pc or t5. I have about 150 to spend, based on the aquatraders site comparison.
No way your getting T-5 for $150 at 200watts. Try VHO. Hellolights has a sight for retro kits.

landolakes

Did you guys check out the aquatraders website? It has them from Jebo for 122.98 shipped to my place. I really need to know if they are anygood, the search on this site turned up mixed reviews but none horrible.

spankey

Not to burst your bubble, but stay away from the jebo lights! I bought a double 36" T-5 Fixture brand new on ----. Only cost me $40.00 I thought hey, what they heck. Two things with these lights..
1- the lights are not as intense as higher end T-5's Very disapointing! It didn't even seem like they made any type of difference at all. They were less intense than a PC bulb half the wattage????
2- After runing the lights for two days, my MAIN breaker popped! The balast was so hot and stinky, it would not restart. SHOT! My living room smelled for two days like something had caught fire.. To close to call for a $40 fixture???? If I wasn't home at the time, God only knows what could have happened...
You really can't skimp on your system, skimmer, lights pumps etc... If you're wife is going to give you some cash, see if you can buy a used one on here or another site that for that matter. I sold a 192 watt Orbit PC light after 6 months of use for $150.00. I paid $240 new. So it can be done.
I just think for the money you are going to spend, you would be happier buying a better fixture. Current, Satelite and what not. I hope I did not offend you. I was once in your shoes and know what its like to have low funds. I then realized, I need to spend some cash upfront to have the better lights. You will thank yourself in the end..
As another person stated, try to get a nice VHO retro, The VHO's will put out alot more light vs the T-5 and look sweet!
Just my 2 cents?
Good luck and research what ever it is you are going to buy!!!!!!
Spankey

spankey

After looking at the aqua traders site, that 36" model is the same one I bought on E*** and it was brand new. From the looks of thier site, the JEBO is all they seem to carry???
Post on here you are looking for lighting for 48" and I am sure someone will throw you some bones?

landolakes

Have been trying to buy used but it seems that no one understands the concept of used. Most of the fixtures that have been up for sale are about 10% cheaper then new and when you total in the shipping they are more expensive. I guess I will just take the cash and save up for some better lighting. I,ll try to post picks of my make shift reef soon. Thanks for all the help and any more suggestions or offers will be gladly accepted.

joncat24

i have the odyysea 48" 26o watt pc from that site and it is awesome...I have had it for almost a year with absolutely zero problems...one of my friends has the same one ..also no probs and another friend just got the 48 542 watt metal halide from there and it is amazing...You can't beat those lights for the money...buy one

fishfryer

i just got one also and love it. when i replace the bulbs do i use odessa bulbs only or can i put corallife bulbs, as i want to get 10k not the 12k it comes with? :help: ?

saltfan

Originally Posted by fishfryer
i just got one also and love it. when i replace the bulbs do i use odessa bulbs only or can i put corallife bulbs, as i want to get 10k not the 12k it comes with? :help: ?
You can use whatever lamps you want.