Cheap MH ballasts

gilly

I stumbled acrossed this site that sells cheap MH ballasts. Will they work for aquariums?
SWF.com sells lighting so you can not post this link.

badboyj

Gilly said:
I stumbled acrossed this site that sells cheap MH ballasts. Will they work for aquariums?
SWF.com sells lighting so you can not post this link.
you can go to a eletrical suppy house like I did and buy them and the sockets and do your own wiring , the sockets where $8.00 and the ballasts where $45.00 , for 250 watt........not sure about that site you found..good luck!!...the bulbs are what kill you......

badboyj

sorry just look at the site and found that there the same ones I have ......long story short , yes they work great....
..sorry for beat'in your ear.

badboyj

Originally Posted by Gilly
Is it possible to wire double ended bulbs with those?
sould be the same thing , my bulbs are mogul ,

[hr]
in type , you still have to power the bulbs , so the differents should not matter, so you should be fine....call the place before you buy , or go to your area electical suppy and ask to be on the safe side. you also need a metal junction box to mount them in .those ballast might come with multi tap wires for different voltage make sure you connect them correct.....

scsinet

We use these guys as our vendor for ballasts here at the office (just placed an order for a case of fluorescent ballasts yesterday as a matter of fact).
They are a good vendor. No troubles, and they'll talk to you on the phone if you have problems. They are owned by a parent company called Service Lighting and Electrical.
sould be the same thing , my bulbs are mogul ,

[hr]
in type , you still have to power the bulbs , so the differents should not matter, so you should be fine
Sorry to disagree, but it absolutely does matter. MH ballasts and lamps come in two flavors, probe start and pulse start (pulse start is also referred to as HQI in the aquarium industry).
A double ended lamp requires a pulse start ballast to ignite them.
Single ended lamps are usually probe start, though there are exceptions (Ushio SE lamps are pulse start, for instance). If you want to fire double ended lamps, then on their site, after going to the ballast section, select "pulse start HID ballasts". A pulse start ballast will also ignite a probe start lamp, so if you have plans to use DE lamps or plan to use them in the future, then invest in a pulse start ballast.

badboyj

Originally Posted by SCSInet
We use these guys as our vendor for ballasts here at the office (just placed an order for a case of fluorescent ballasts yesterday as a matter of fact).
They are a good vendor. No troubles, and they'll talk to you on the phone if you have problems. They are owned by a parent company called Service Lighting and Electrical.
Sorry to disagree, but it absolutely does matter. MH ballasts and lamps come in two flavors, probe start and pulse start (pulse start is also referred to as HQI in the aquarium industry).
A double ended lamp requires a pulse start ballast to ignite them.
Single ended lamps are usually probe start, though there are exceptions (Ushio SE lamps are pulse start, for instance). If you want to fire double ended lamps, then on their site, after going to the ballast section, select "pulse start HID ballasts". A pulse start ballast will also ignite a probe start lamp, so if you have plans to use DE lamps or plan to use them in the future, then invest in a pulse start ballast.
THAT'S WHY I SAID ASK FIRST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

scsinet

Originally Posted by BadBoyJ
THAT'S WHY I SAID ASK FIRST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

Yeesh man take a pill... you act as though I was insulting you. People disagree with me all the time and I don't go yelling at them.