Cheap MH bulbs??

jackri

Usually you get what you pay for. They work but I really question how true to their spectrum they run and how long they give quality light. I've seen 250w halides on the bay for 30 bucks (might find some cheaper) but I've also gotten new phoenix bulbs for 55.00 new from a "bulbstock" dealer on line. I'm sure they work but they aren't selling quality or the brand.

bmkj02

I bought 2 400w MH 10k. Seam good but a little to yellowish for me even with the 4 x 65w T5HO Actinics. Going to wait a few more months and get the 14k ones. Like jackri says you get what you pay for. $50 for 2 or the better ones 2 for $100. They are good for around a year so next time I am going with the better brand since I havent had the chance to compare

scsinet

Bottom line... it's a craps shoot.
Halide lamps for warehouse fixtures are around $20. The lamps themselves don't cost much to produce. What makes the halide lamps for aquariums so expensive is the the R&D to create the exact chemical compounds, then precisely dope the inside of the arc tube with them to produce quality color rendition and usable light.
A 400w lamp may be bright, but it's all a matter of how much of that light is useful to the livestock in the tank. If only 50% of the light produced by a 400w halide lamp is usable by the corals (and you can't tell by eye), then it's like you are lighting up the corals with a 200w lamp. The rest of the light amounts to wasted electricity and heat, and growth of stuff in the tank that can use the light (read: algae). It may be bright, but it's not useful.
The famous site where you bid on stuff has lots of lamps that are either noname, knockoffs, or factory seconds. You take a chance. The problem is that you may never know if you are getting a good lamp unless you have the equipment to actually test the lamp's emissions. When you buy an expensive lamp, you are paying for the name... more accurately, you are paying for trust in a lamp that has a known company and their reputation standing behind it.

todj2002

I got a SE bulb from the bay for about 30 bones and i also got a hamilton bulb so i could do a side by side comparison. i used 14k for both of them and the result was.... the bamilton is a nice bluish white. the bay bulb is ok... but a very obvious color difference. more yellow, but it was half the price so depends on how long it last i guess and how much ur willing to spend. when the bay bulb dies im gonna replace it with the hamilton. looks really nice. the next set i get i may try 12k, if hamilton makes them. i dont even know,
lol

murray bmf

There are plenty of places to "skimp" when buying for your tank. The lighting, which is essential, (life's blood for a lot of the tanks inhabitants) is not one of them. I would go with what s proven, But that's just me

bmkj02

Agree. I got mine from the Bay. Needed something fast to get started as I had no live stock yet. Now that I am stocked up I will get name brands and pay the extra. Like murray BMF said, the lighting is not the place to skimp

scsinet

Keep in mind it's not the site you get it from, it's whether or not you get a noname lamp.
Buying Radiums, Ushios, etc from the auction sites is probably fine, whatever your preference may be. The question there remains whether they are used or not, but you can usually tell by looking at the lamp whether it has a significant number of hours on it or not.