Cheap VHO...will it work????

These ballast are being offered online for 10.00 bucks a pop. Is there anyway i could rig a system with these using 2-95watt uri vho bulbs on each ballast?? I want to get a 4 bulb vho system going, and if i could do this i would be pretty happy. here are the specs...
Magnetek vho/sho ballasts cat# 931-Lh-tc-p. 1500ma rapid start ballasts for two F96 or F72, t10 t10j or t-12 lamps. These are 120 volts 60 hrtz and line amps of 3.4 185-195 watts

sal t. nutz

I have no idea if it will work since I am a newbie, but would you mind telling me where you are getting them for that price?

krusk

No, big NO
those are Tar VHO ballasts
I have one of them from Advance. I have to replace bulbs every 4 months
very hot, very heavy

sgt__york

Hi there.. i'm rather new here.. but thought i'd throw my 2cents to ya....
i've had a reef tank up for 5yrs using those ballasts - I had bought them from a local electrical supply house.
I had no problems with them - i ran 2 ballasts - 2 bulbs each (VHO) (2 URI actenic and super white's on each one).
Regarding the "HEAT" issue - i have my ballasts remotely located UNDER the tank - so ballast heat was a real non-issue. Inside the hood, heat was a slight issue from the bulbs themselves - but i'm unsure of how much the ballasts make the bulbs themselves run cooler. I had mounted a fan on the side of the hood to pull the heat out from the hood - and did just fine. I did not have a heater or chiller on the system.
I have been out of it for the past 2yrs tho, and am now just resetting my system up from scratch. I still have the ballasts powering mine, and going to use them again. Best of luck to you.

Sgt york,
What was your bulb life like with those? Ballast heat would not be an issue for me as well. Bulb life is what concerns me. Im all game if i can rig together a system 100 bucks running 4 vho bulbs.

krusk

The Infamous Sea Cucumber
you may want to wait on this Tar Ballast for few weeks(2-3).
Reasons:
Tar ballast you can order at the Local Electric supply store (about $50)
You can get the E-Ballast for VHO (2x110) for about the same price)
why do you have to wait for few week?
give me your email

Krusk,
I found the tar ballasts on ---- for 10.00 bucks, thats why i was wondering. Im not in a rush to get my lights or anything, that auction was just ending soon. If you could find me a good deal on electronic ballasts (like $50) that would be cool. I would probably rather go with that so i could get a better bulb life.
Email...gleffeer@msu.edu

krusk

yes, I will have e-ballast for about $50
I like to keep this low because i do not have them yet, still waiting for shipment
on $10 Tar ballast, is it a good deal
heck yes on price
reg ballast at lowes, HD, Menard are about $25
but just me I would not use that ballast again
I will let you know when I recieved the shipment

irishstout

I've also been using a tar ballast from advanced. If I could do it all over again I would not have gone with a tar, knowing what I know now. Look into a good electronic ballast. Many people praise icecap, but I hear the new LN brand is worth a shot, and alot less expensive than the caps. HTH