cheap vs. expensive ATO

snakeblitz33

Hey all,
I just wanted some opinions on the different kinds of ATO. Generally, in this hobby, the more money you spend, the better quality product you are going to get. Is this true with ATO systems? Can someone recommend a good quality "cheap" unit, and a more expensive unit?
I am looking to set up an ATO pretty soon on my 75g, which takes about 1.2g per day of top off. I would like to be able to not have to top off the reservoir very often, and I know how to get by doing that (bigger reservoir) but I need some peace of mind with a good brand ATO (and not overpriced).
In the good ole' days I would generally use a float valve, but in the effort to be more "modern" I will upgrade to an electronic ATO. So, need help.

cam78

I have the Tunze and I LOVE it. it is SO accurate and has two mechanisms to prevent an over flow. Plus the pump they sell with it is very good as I know due to running out of water in my res multiple times. It never burned out and pumps like a champ. I recommend spending the extra bucks and get it. Osmolator its called. Or something close to it.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I don't think I want to spend that kind of money on a unit. Tunze is great, I know... I want some of their powerheads. But, I don't know if I am willing to put *that* much money in something that tops my sump off. There has to be a good cheap unit out there... something reliable.

cam78

Then make one yourself. Its a real easy concept. As long as you don't care what it looks like.

phixer

Know this is an old post, but the old saying of you get what you pay for isnt always true. There are many crooks out there waiting to rip folks off.
You are better off educating yourself and building it yourself. The quality and price will normally be superior if you take your time.

acrylic51

Disagree to the last post to a degree. Compare an ATO that uses optical sensors vs what most build. Not even close in cost or quality.

snakeblitz33

Well, as far as it being my original thread, the point is moot. I went with a JBJ Auto Top Off System and I have loved it ever since. It has never failed me so far and I am very happy for the $70 price tag.

phixer

Interesting Shawn... Id compare this project to building your own PC vs buying one off the shelf. Normally what you build is better than what you could buy mass produced unless your talking about proprietary technology. But your right, it depends on the builder.