Cheapest way to cool your tank!!!

marineman0

Take a water bottle(ice mountain, whatever you got.). Peel off the wrapper, freeze, then put it in your tank until its unfrozen then re-freeze!!!(More bottles cool faster)

nygel

yep, thats a common one, i was too lazy so I threw in a ton of ice cubes in my filter, hurray! plus fans.

reefforbrains

5 gallon bucket of Ice. Run a powerhead from tank through a tube that does a loop in the bucket and back into the tank.
Works great for really hot days.

1journeyman

Are these for emergencies? They all seem horribly impractical for day to day cooling. (except fans)
I bought a 20$ 8 inch fan at Wal Mart and put it in canopy. Left back of canopy open. Works well.

T

tmy880

Originally Posted by MarineMan0
Take a water bottle(ice mountain, whatever you got.). Peel off the wrapper, freeze, then put it in your tank until its unfrozen then re-freeze!!!(More bottles cool faster)

Are you talking about putting it directly in tank or in sump?
I dont have a sump so would the first option work ok?

fuax

A friend of mine did it 2 different ways:
These are just cheap ways of setting up a chiller not the best way just cheap ones.
1) He dug a 4 foot deep hole in the ground outside put a 5 gal. bucket (sealed) in it and covered it up. He pumped water into it and the pressure pushed the water back out into his sump. I beleive it went through his floor into the basement then outside. (I forget the exact configuration.)
2) The other way he did it was with one of those really cheap small refrigerators. He carefully drilled holes in the side and ran a coil of hose in it and cycled it back into his sump.
I personally use a fan with an occasional frozen bottle of water if necessary.

puffer32

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Are these for emergencies? They all seem horribly impractical for day to day cooling. (except fans)
I bought a 20$ 8 inch fan at Wal Mart and put it in canopy. Left back of canopy open. Works well.
I bought alittle 6 inch fan at target last yr, non clip on, for 8.00 Its a novelty fan with spiderman theme. I have it sitting on my filter on the back of my 55 tank blowing on the lights. I have to turn it off cause its strong enough to bring the temp down from 82 to 78 in afew hrs, if i don't turn it off periodically, it goes to far down, once i read the temp at 75, thats how good it works, almost to good for a 55. I tried to buy another one this yr for my 150 but they are no longer available. This little fan is incredible and works much better then the 10 inch clip on i got at walmart. If i could find another one i would rig it as a clip on for my 150 sump, as it is, i can't aim it into the sump without fear of it falling in.

hatessushi

I just aim a few of he slats from my ac vent at the tank. Every year when summer comes I aim 5 of the slats toward the tank and keeps my tank from 77.5 to 79.

No extra fans taking up a power plug and no water bottles to freeze.

monalisa

Originally Posted by puffer32
I bought alittle 6 inch fan at target last yr, non clip on, for 8.00 Its a novelty fan with spiderman theme. I have it sitting on my filter on the back of my 55 tank blowing on the lights. I have to turn it off cause its strong enough to bring the temp down from 82 to 78 in afew hrs, if i don't turn it off periodically, it goes to far down, once i read the temp at 75, thats how good it works, almost to good for a 55. I tried to buy another one this yr for my 150 but they are no longer available. This little fan is incredible and works much better then the 10 inch clip on i got at walmart. If i could find another one i would rig it as a clip on for my 150 sump, as it is, i can't aim it into the sump without fear of it falling in.
I also use a small clip on fan on my seahorse tank to keep the temp down...works great and the temp is just where I want it without fear of anything icky leaking into the water.
Lisa...

hatessushi

Originally Posted by puffer32
A temp of 78 is just fine. You just have to be carefull of large temp swings within a short period of time.