Cheapest (yet adequate) setup for a 55 gal?

bemaniac

So I recently received a 55 gallon acrylic tank. It came with the stand, the lighting fixture (however I think it's just a standard fluorescent fixture), and a good covering of sand (although it's not live sand, it's been sitting in still fresh water for a few months).
So I want to set up my first saltwater aquarium. At first I would like it to be a fish only tank, but am open to trying other stuff after I've gained some experience.
I want to start with a setup with equipment that is adequate, but not cutting-edge or frivolous.
I would like to know exactly what I'll need to get the tank started (i.e. what brands are accaptable and models), and about how much it's going to cost.
I know it's a lot to ask, so any information at all would be valuable.
-Adam

kquang

hey, i recently setup a 55 gallon too.
here's what i have so far:
50 lb. Live Rock - bought it off someone for 100 bucks
Coralife Super Skimmer - 100 bucks off another site. (works really well)
I am planning on investing in some Odyssea PC lights 260w. - 120 (not the best lighting but is worth the money)
i also have another filter going to help with water movement.

bemaniac

I'm looking online for someone's used live rock, is about 50-55 lbs pretty good to start?
Also, I was told by my LFS that I don't really need a filter per se, but rather a sump with a protein skimmer. Is this true, or should I also have some sort of a filter as well?
As for the protein skimmer, would it be bad to get one used?
Lighting and a power head are also on my list.

kquang

yeah, 50 - 55 lbs. of live rock is pretty good since i think it is recommended you have at least 1lb/gallon.
the filter is not necessary if you have a good sump setup with protein skimmer. I will one day convert to a sump but as of now school is too overwhelming to do it.
a protein skimmer is probably one of the key pieces to a successful tank. If the used skimmer is in good condition and is a decent skimmer then there is nothing wrong with buying it.
Lighting is very important if you plan on keeping corals and not a necessity in a FOWLR setup.

bemaniac

Some more questions:
What exactly constitutes a "good" sump setup? What do I need to make this setup adequate.
Also, what are good brands of in-sump protein skimmers (I'm looking in the classifieds for used ones, but have no reference about which brands are trusted)

anonome

Originally Posted by bemaniac
Some more questions:
What exactly constitutes a "good" sump setup? What do I need to make this setup adequate.
Also, what are good brands of in-sump protein skimmers (I'm looking in the classifieds for used ones, but have no reference about which brands are trusted)
Aqua C brand protein skimmers are awesome in my opinion, haven't had an ounce of trouble with mine. Can be a little pricey, but the protein skimmer is not where you want to skimp. This is the most important piece of equipment one can buy for their tank. I have a hob(hang on back) model, but have seen and heard the sump models are just as efficient. You will have trouble finding a used one, people that have them don't get rid of them.

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by bemaniac
and a good covering of sand (although it's not live sand, it's been sitting in still fresh water for a few months).
I would think about sterilizing that sand, you could have some trouble w/ unwanted bacteria when you set-up this tank. IMO if I didn't know for sure what kind it was(may have silicas in it), I wouldn't take the chance. You can get SouthDown playsand and seed it w/ a couple lbs of livesand to save money.

bemaniac

So I finally have the tank in my possession. I'm going to remove all the sand that was in there (it looked really nasty), and clean the tank with an extremely diluted chlorine mixture (I read in several places that this was okay as long as I rinse it out thoroughly). At that point, should I start buying the sump/protein skimmer first? I probably can't buy it all at once.
Also, what constitutes a good sump? I know to get a good skimmer, but is that all I need? Also, should I use a smaller fish tank as the sump, or is there something cheaper? Do I need to drill the tank, or is there some other alternative?

bemaniac

Okay, so I've found some good deals on some live rock ($2 per lb of premium cured fiji live rock). I'm thinking 60 lbs would be good. If i do a live sand/non-live sand mixture, how much live sand, and how much non-live sand?
I found someone on craigslist selling 50 lbs of live sand for $20, is this a good deal? Do I need more?