cheato?

1990jpyj

ok i have a few questions about cheato:
what is it used for? i think i have an idea i just want to make sure.
how quickly will it grow?
what is the minimun amount of light it needs to grow?
what fish will eat it?
thanks

subielover

It is a macro-algae that consumes nitrates and phosphates. I prune mine every couple weeks. It doesn't need a ton of light, pc lights work fine. Even a standard spiral fluorescent bulb will work. Try to get a bulb as close to 6700k as possible. I don't know of any fish that eats chaeto, although I am positive that some species do

1990jpyj

ok thanks. i was just making sure that i know what it consumes. i have seen my foxface and my hippo nip at it a few times.

natclanwy

Chaeto can grow very fast to not at all depending on your system parameters, if you have zero nitrate, and phosphate and the bacteria in your system are breaking whatever nitrates you do get faster than the chaeto can consume it, it will grow very slowly. Mine would douple in size every month while I still had measurable nitrates now that they have been zero for a while it grows very slowly.

revrick3

When you trim it what do you do with it, sell it, trade it or just through it out, I started some and it has almost covered the top of 10 gl tank.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2868419
i dont think it really matters, just make sure it goes in your sump an not in your DT LOL

ya i watched a funny video where someone put it in his DT...there was a fist sized clump that kept rolling into a clown fish den. the fish kept attackingit and dragging it away. funny to watch.
also what kind of light are people using for thier chaeto? i see a light down below on every sump ive seen that incorporates it...but i dont know what kkind it is.

D

dennis210

I have seen it consumed by all tangs.
As far as uses - yes it will take up nitrates and phosphates, but it is also a excellent place for "pods" to grow and thrive in!
Lighting can be a single strip florescent buld found on a 10 gallon tank.
I currently utilize it in a refugium attached to the sump on my DT as well as in the sump on my Frag tank.

natclanwy

I use a $5 shop clamp light from walmart that uses incandescent bulbs, I just replace the incandescent with the highest wattage 6500k spiral flourescent bulb I can find.