Check it out all DONE!!!!

steelgluer

Here it is all done finally..
All together cost 20.00 for 55 gallon 25.00 for plumbing and 40.00 for a 1340 gph pump..

thangbom

that perdy nice man.. and darn cheap too..... wish i could find a stal like that to make a fuge....but then agin.. ill have to find a place to put the fuge...

fishaholic

Im considering building one, but dont clearly understand how the flow goes through your setup. I was thinking about building one for a 25 gal if i dont get my nano dx 2. Can you help me? (maybe put some arrows on the photos you have posted. )I understand that the water goes over the baffles and through the filter media.
Thanks in advance.

acrylic51

I don't mean to be stupid by why did you "T" off your return line back to the tank to feed your fuge??? Wouldn't it have been better to "T" off one of your drain lines???

christssol

Originally posted by acrylic51
I don't mean to be stupid by why did you "T" off your return line back to the tank to feed your fuge??? Wouldn't it have been better to "T" off one of your drain lines???

Looks to me like he did it so he could pump water into the fuge instead of letting it trickle via gravity. Pretty neat set up really. You could always use a seperate, smaller pump to feed the fuge if you wanted to use all the power from the return pump to increase flow in the main tank.

steelgluer

Originally posted by acrylic51

Some or maybe most people put the pump on the end and everything goes to the pump. Then to th Dt. I did it this way because if your pump is to big then some people put a shut off in the return and slow it down which kills the pumps life, this way with the pump in the middle there is no restriciton to the pump at all which wont effect the pump life. It runs at it full potential.

biglurr545

1 first stage box stuffed with pre filter
2 box with bio balls water spread out evenly and dripped on the balls
3 macro algae in 10 gallon tank with 32 watt pc light with walls to keep substrate and algae away from pumps and pipes
4 return pump either out through side or straight up
5 protein skimmer probably a prism hang on
6 intake from over flow box with valve to adjust water flow so it equals the pump
7 return to tank through a uv sterilizer then out a spray bar
Additional info: 1 + 2 will be mounted above the 10 gallon tank and water will run through pipe to 10 gallon so it doesn’t interfere with the light 10 gallon tank will be used as main sump and a 5 gallon tank for the wet dry part of filter. This will be for a 46 gallon bow show reef with thoughts of later upgrading to 72 bow and a 30 gallon fuge. Also in fuge that’s not pictured is grounding probe and heater
Reverse osmosis unit will be separate for water changes and top offs
Over flow will be 8 inches long and 1 inch outlet 600 gph

acrylic51

Originally Posted by christssol
Looks to me like he did it so he could pump water into the fuge instead of letting it trickle via gravity. Pretty neat set up really. You could always use a seperate, smaller pump to feed the fuge if you wanted to use all the power from the return pump to increase flow in the main tank.
Trust me feeding the fuge from your drain line of overflow isn't and shouldn't be a trickle!!!!!