Check it out, what ya think

reefdweler

I was thinking of setting up a 10 gal sump/fuge ( can't afford a 20 long) to go with a 55 gal tank. The sump/fuge is only to act a a nutrient removal system using chaeto, mangrove and deep sand band. I understand the factor of flow, light and it's effect on the growth and usefulness of the macro. I intend to have 250 to 300 gph going through it. One question on that though, is the gph through the sump by means of the return pump or by means of the dissplay tank gravity drain to sump? What is everyone view on this?

my way

It relys on 1 of 2 things; how much your overflow will flow and how much your return pump will pump. the lower of the 2 is what it will be If your overflow is rated at say 100 gallons per hour and your return is rated at 75 gallons per hour your flow rate will be 75 GPH. If your overflow is still rated at 100 GPH and your pump is rated at 125 GPH you will need to put a valve on the pump to slow it down to 100 GPH giving you aGPH of 100. Also I would'nt bother with the mangroves I tried them and they are overated in my opinion.

reefdweler

ok so if Ihave an internal overflow rated at 300 gph and I have a return pump rated at 1000gph, I just install a ball valve with a check valve on the return line after the pump right?