check out my new Blue Shrooms!!!!

toonascott

They have been in the tank a week and they love it. One of the mushrooms came off the rock and he is slowly moving around looking for a happy place. Once he settles, the whole colony is going to where he settles and I am going to frag him and zap a gap the frags on a cool piece of coral I found on the beach. I find all sorts of cool stuff on the beach and the surf totally cleans the stuff off. The sun takes care of the rest.

toonascott

thanks, I had to get out my little chair and whip to get my flame goby into position, hahaha. Just kidding, my fish seem to be camera hogs, everytime I go to take a picture they swim right into the view, its funny as heck. Something really neat has happened since I put the blue shrooms in, my eye lash blenny has turned purple and the little blue dots on his back end seem to glow brightly. He has always been a bit of a chameleon, taking on colours to match his surroundings. He is my favorite fish and he cleans the heck out of my tank. He is the trickiest to get a good picture of, I am going to try though.

pyro

Just curious; how long has the scallop been in your tank?
Shrooms like amazing by the way, and the fins on your firefish look really health - my clown has been snapping at mine recently =/

alyssia

Those look awesome!! I ordered blue shrooms but they came and they are purple.

Does different lighting affect the way shrooms look?

my way

Originally Posted by alyssia
Those look awesome!! I ordered blue shrooms but they came and they are purple.

Does different lighting affect the way shrooms look?
I believe it does. I bought a single Blue Shroom frag and after a few months it now appears purple more than blue.

toonascott

Originally Posted by Pyro
Just curious; how long has the scallop been in your tank?
Shrooms like amazing by the way, and the fins on your firefish look really health - my clown has been snapping at mine recently =/

The scallop has been in for 2 months, if I remember correctly. He was one of first inverts I put in there. He is tricky to feed. Anything bigger than cyclopeaze and he spits it out. He also closes at the first sign of my feeding tube. His fleshy parts seem ok, but not as "full" as I think he should be. I put him out front in tank one day recently to let him really open up and he looks like he needs to put some meat on his bones. I am going to pay extra special attention to him. On my way to a new fish store in Ft Lauderdale in next few minutes. I will get some live phyto and try to feed him. I am so lucky to live where I am, everything marine is cheaper, healthier, more diverse and easier to transport than my home in Canada. There are many retail stores within an hour of my house in Delray Beach. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Boca Raton and I can be in the keys in a couple hours thru the week. I moved to Florida 2 years ago and I love it. Here are some more pics of my tank.

gatorwpb

Great Pics Toona!!
I love it here in South Fla, lots of places to choose from.
Which new store are/were you going to? How was it?

toonascott

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
Great Pics Toona!!
I love it here in South Fla, lots of places to choose from.
Which new store are/were you going to? How was it?
We went to Exotic Aquatics, it was a cool little store. They had everything, and their tanks where better kept than most LFS. I bought some "Phyto-Feast" for $16. I just realized something.... 6 fl oz = $16. Hmmm.... thats on the same level as Dom Perignon!!!! That flame scallop better not spit that out or I'll wrap him in bacon. hahahaha

A few blocks from my home, in Boca Raton, there is a store called Barrier Reef. I buy alot of my supplies there. I am liking the looks of the stuff on this site and I plan on ordering a bunch of stuff. I am going to start up a new reef tank.
Here is my future setup list.
Display Tank = 90 gallon 36 x 24 x 24 starfire glass with centre support and salt creep barrier
Filtration = CPR Aquafuge MP Large
Skimmer = ASM G-3 Skimmer - In Sump ( fron Saltwaterfish.com)
supplimentary filtration = aquaclear 500 with Kent reef carbon (3-5 days a month)and ion resins (as necessary)
Lighting = 36" Aqualight Pro 250W HQI/2x65W PC/2x1W Lunar
Circulation = Switching Current Water Director (SCWD) + 2 maxi jet 1200 powerheads
Temperature Control = Jager 250 watt heater
Saltwaterfish.com 3 x 45-50 lb ultra premium fiji liverock
Saltwaterfish.com 100 gallon reefpak
Saltwaterfish.com 3 x 40 lb Natures Ocean Live Sand
Saltwaterfish.com - fish, inverts, corals

ninjamini

Exotic Aquatics - A nice little store with a good but not great selection. This is the one store that when I was first learning Rob the owner (I think that was his name) gave me good info. They are reasonably priced and nice. One of my favorites.
Barrier Reef - cocky

[hr]
will be found here. They offer the worst in customer service but a great coral collection. They are however very expensive. But its boca so...
Big als is on university and offers the best selection of supplies anywhere. If your looking for a tank or a light or a filter this is the place to go hands down. They are sticker price but that is too be expected. They used to have a great coral selection but they have not recovered after the hurricane of a year ago. There fish selection is huge and just shopping there is an experience. Its a fun store. With some of the best display tanks around. They even have a 5000 (MiamiReefr 00 added) gallon shark tank. O'yea RO water at $.25 / gallon.

toonascott

Big Al's is an amazing store. I am pretty sure they started out in my country of origin...Canada. I used to make a "Big Al's Tour". My wife and I would drive to the big al's in Kitchener, then onto the store in hamilton, then the Big Al's in brampton and finally the missassauga store. It was an awesome way to spend a Saturday as each store had something new to offer. That was when I couldnt afford to setup up the reef tank I wanted, so I gorged myself on window shopping.
Well, I got myself some mangrove seedlings from the beach this morning, time to do some tank maintenance. I might slip over to Barrier Reef, they had a really nice rock smothered in bright green zoo's. Later y'all

toonascott

I forgot to ask ... where are some more cool marine stores to check out? I notice saltwater fish is going to open up to the public soon. I can't wait.

laddy

Great looking pictures, by the way--wish my purple firefish would stay still long enough to snap a picture.

gatorwpb

I do most of my shopping at Coral Sea Aquariums in west palm beach. The owner is a young guy and he's been giving me great prices on equip.
Big Al's was impressive, but I felt that their prices were high. I guess you pay that for the convenience of having everything in one store. Staff was very knowledgable too.

toonascott

Say Hello to my little friend!!! (cuban accent)
Here is my new algae annihilator, here him roar. I am watching him like a hawk, one wrong move and I step in to save the day.

ninjamini

I do most of my shopping at Coral Sea Aquariums in west palm beach.
Where is this?

Big Al's was impressive, but I felt that their prices were high. I guess you pay that for the convenience of having everything in one store. Staff was very knowledgable too.
Yes-Yes and Yes!