Check out this hitchiker

hagfish

This little guy was sitting in a patch of zoanthids tonight. I picked him up to put him in the sump just in case. When I picked him up I saw that he had two zoanthid polyps in his claws. I've had some zoo losses lately. Hopefully this explains why. It's about the best looking crab I've seen in an aquarium so it's a shame. If someone wants to try him in a fish only I'd be up for a trade. I'd also like to know if anyone knows anything more about this one.

birdmom

Hi! I am not 100% sure but it fits the description of a Calico Crab..
I do not have a pictorial reference for it & all of my book sources have comments that are vague.
No matter what it is.. I would say that catching it Red Handed with zooas
in pinchers is not a good thing...
I would take it but it is too good looking to be put into the Gladiator Tank..
(my tank that is "crab only" & ruled by a large bar-eyed hermit. The place where crabs that cause trouble go to see what it is like to get picked on)
For anyone that is upset that I am sending crabs to their death... no death has ever occurred... However I will say that 3 homeless hermits are currently residing in 1 large discarded Whelk shell..
take care, birdmom

renogaw

goodness that's a beautiful crab.
if you plan to do anything with it other than give it a home in a small tank, give me an email. mjwag1975 $ cox.net

azfishgal

Originally Posted by surfinusa
it looks part clownfish

That's what I was thinking. Ver pretty. And I agree with the last post, put it in your refugium.

xdave

Yep, as birdmom said, it's a calico. Also known as "the swimming" crab. Not reef safe. They are also known to catch fish as well.

birdmom

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
3 in one shell, thats a first for me, do you have a picture?
Hi, I have been trying to get pics for about two weeks. No luck yet, they are very skittish.. "can't blame em" every time there is any movement near the tank they go deep inside. I have been thinking about setting up the tripod & try the time lapse. I will post pics if I ever get any. I have not put in any new shells for them so they are not moving anytime soon. Even if I did, The huge hermit just snaps them apart..
Birdmom

hagfish

I threw him in the fuge soon after I found him. He actually hangs out in the front where I can see him pretty often. Best looking crab I've seen.