Check this LIVE ROCK

calirob

Just started Clycling 180 pounds in my in-wall 125G.
This is caribbean LR... very fresh...As I was told.
Can any of you pick out any good (or) bad items on my new rock???
Please check them out!! What will Die off? What wont? I haven't seen anything come out yet?

1journeyman

I used 25lbs of Caribbean live rock in addition to the Pacific live rock I set my tank up with.
In the Caribbean, I had 2 mantis shrimp and one big, mean crab.
I suggest baiting a bottle trap with some food to see what comes out.
Watch your ammonia. you want to do water changes whenever your ammonia gets too high (to preserve the life on the rock).
Good luck with it. Caribbean is a bit denser than I like, but you can't beat it for freshness!

marsciguy

It Looks Fairly Okay, But Does Not Have Too Much Life On It.
At My LFS Live Rock Is Shipped In Then Cured For 6 Weeks, Has ALOT Of Coralline And Hitch Hikers. It Runs About $10 A Pound For Carib Rock Here.
I Would Ask When They Got That Batch,
How Long Do They Cure It?
Do They Suppliment it While Curing?
Who They Get It From?
How They Cure It?
Ask As Much As You Can About What Your Buying, To Be Honest That Does Not Look "Fresh" To Me, Of Couse Your Area May Have Different Suppliers, Rules About Curing And All That Important Stuff.
Really, It Looks More Like Base Rock To Me Then Live Rock, I Mean I See Small Coralline Spots, But Mostly Dead Materal.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by MarSciGuy
It Looks Fairly Okay, But Does Not Have Too Much Life On It.
At My LFS Live Rock Is Shipped In Then Cured For 6 Weeks, Has ALOT Of Coralline And Hitch Hikers. It Runs About $10 A Pound For Carib Rock Here...
I would beat myself with a tire iron before I paid that much for any live rock, ESPECIALLY Carib...
His rock looks fine to me, colors are going to depend on his camera and lighting. There is some obvious macro and what appears to be Bryozoan. Both indications of "fresh".

crzyfshygy

The rock looks good. Great shapes....a little expensive. I pay $4.99lb lb for that but who cares/ It looks cool and by the look of it, it seems to have life. It will cure it self in the tank anyway. Run the tank for 4-6weeks anyway before putting anything pricey in there.

birdy

Looks like good fresh rock to me, when it comes right out of the ocean, there is a lot of die off. usually you don't start to see the good stuff until a couple weeks after it cycles.
I agree, do water changes keep those levels down so the good stuff stays alive, don't listen to the people who say it will make your cycle longer.
All of the fuzzy white and black stuff is just die off, I just leave it on my rock, but I guess you could scrub it off. It will eventually go away.

calirob

Thanks guys.
For the record I got all the rock for 3$ a pound off a really good website that is in florida.
Free shipping and the rock was taken from the ocean on Saturday and I had it by wednesday. Not bad..OK, I will do a water change because my ammonia is through the roof!