check this out, not for the weak at heart

blueberryboomer

Our son came upon him when he was outside with the dogs, my daughter and I caught him. We think that its a Butler's gardener snake and from the info I found on line they are rare species. Fixit called the local college to see if they want it, if not we will release it back into the woods.

grouperhead

Incredible pics Lisa! You can really see how puffed up the toad got in a futile attempt to 'scare' off the snake. It lacks the dorsal striping that I've seen on Butler's garters. It looks more like a Kirtland's snake to me, but I'm not too familiar with them. Bo

blueberryboomer

Thanks everyone,
Grouperhead, I'm not really too sure if it is a Butler's, I searched on the net for Michigan snakes and that was the one it looked like. Tom put a call into a professor at the local college, if it is a butlers, the web site said they are uncommon. I would have loved to have found it when (if its a female) it was pregnant, from what I read, they have live births. So cool, I do have another photo of its total body, if interested I will post it. We have it in a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid on it, with grass and leaves right now.
Iam totally amazed how little its head is after seeing it with the frog in its mouth, it can't be much bigger then a dime.
Lisa

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I vote for release back into the wild! Few captured snakes have a very nice life. Most live in smallish containers and only have their custodial needs addressed--if even that. Many live in showboxes.
Release it, please!
I have 3 phythons which basically have the run of a good section of my house but most kept snakes just are not so lucky.

blueberryboomer

Well woke up to the ringing phone this am, Prof. Collins is very interested in seeing it, he said if it's indeed a Butler's that he will get in contact with a breeder that will breed it and release them back into the wild. They are very rare in our area. Will post when we get back from the college. Lisa

blueberryboomer

Just got back from the college, Prof. Collins said he does believe it is a Butler's, but it has some strange markings, he is going to keep the snake in his lab today to show his students and do a little research on it, he said he will probally release it back out into our area. They are rare for our area, usually only find small pockets of them in Michigan. Lisa