check this out

moonshine

aquaclear power head 802 400 G/H for $29.99 or 402 that pups 270 /H for $23.99 H.O.T.magnum bio-pro system its a marineland for $71.99 or a prizm red sea skimmer for $79.99 fluval304 MSF 260 us G/H for $99.99 the emperor 400 BIO-wheelfiltration system up to 80 gallons 400 G/H for $46.99 Instant ocean makes 160 usg $29.99 and a test kit for PH Ammonia nh3/nh4 nitrite and nitrate for $14.99 what do you think??

nm reef

Looks like a decent selection at a basically decent price....all the equipment is fairly common and numerous hobbyists use such equipment...but I don't see what the question is....:confused:

moonshine

Out of all this stuff which would be best for a 55 i dont know what the H.O.T.magnum bio-pro system its a marineland and the fluval304 MSF . What their purpose (besides the obvious of filtration) Pros, cons ect....
I don't remember what test kit it was.

squidd

First off ..What "Kind" of tank are you looking to set up...??Fish Only...Fish only With Live Rock (FOWLR)
or Reef/Mixed Reef...??
Originally posted by moonshine
aquaclear power head 802 400 G/H for $29.99 or 402 that pups 270 /H for $23.99

I am going to assume (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) that because you didn't ask about "Killer" lighting you won't be starting with a Reef...and Because you didn't ask about Live rock/Live Sand or DSBs, That at this point you aren't looking at a FOWLR setup...and because you are asking about "basic" filtration equipment you are just starting out and want to get into saltwater with a couple of fish...
So assuming the above (and you can always upgrade equipment as you go) I would "suggest" Two of the 402 powerheads for your 55 gal tank. The two smaller Ph's will give you more circulation and random flow than One big one...
H.O.T.magnum bio-pro system its a marineland for $71.99 or a prizm red sea skimmer for $79.99 fluval304 MSF 260 us G/H for $99.99 the emperor 400 BIO-wheel filtration system up to 80 gallons 400 G/H for $46.99

I "suggest" that the Skimmer is not an "either/or" choice with the other "filters" and would be a choice IN ADDITION to a mechanical filter system...
That said I would "suggest" the Magnum Pro "System" with Bio-wheels to start out with...I have run all three at one time or another...The "Magnum" is more "efficient" than the Emperor and easier to re prime after cleaning than the Fluval...Being easier to work on means you'll clean it more often (and that's a good thing)
Later as you build up your "Biological" surface area with Live Rock and Live Sand (Say NO to Crushed Coral) you can remove the Bio-Wheels and still use the "can" for carbon/phosphate removers/polishing water or just additional circulation if you run it empty.
Instant ocean makes 160 usg $29.99

Instant Ocean is a good choice...
and a test kit for PH Ammonia nh3/nh4 nitrite and nitrate for $14.99 what do you think??

Testing the "Big Four" Ammonia,NitrIte,NitrAte and pH are necessary to "follow" your cycle and know when it's "safe" to add fish.
There are lots of ways and combos to set up a successful tank, and these are just my suggestions based on the choices you gave...
Continue to ask questions and get "several" opinions" before proceeding...and get a couple books to "clarify" the differences you may find...
Good Luck

moonshine

I dont have any thing but a filter and heater I am going to bee fowlr and a few anemone for the clown fish that i want. I've been looking at lighting too, but havent found any yet.