Check Valves

big_al

I’m setting up a new 180 reef tank. When I tested the capacity of my sump, I found that my overflows stop draining in time but my return lines are deeper and continue to siphon water back to the sump.
Are there any reasons not use a check valve on the return line to stop the siphon?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

bang guy

You need an anti-siphon hole, not a check-valve.
Check valves will almost always fail unless you clean them once a week. Many many animals love the smooth surfaces in a check valve and build their home on them and this causes the valve to leak eventually.
An anti-siphon hole is just a small hole drilled just under the waterline of the return. Angle the hole so that water flows down or else you might create a fountain.

big_al

Awesome idea ..... thank you! I've only been in the hobby 6 months and still working through the techniques!

bang guy

Originally Posted by Big_Al
http:///forum/post/2660700
Awesome idea ..... thank you! I've only been in the hobby 6 months and still working through the techniques!
Ask here before you do anything ;)
There's a lot of experience on this site.

florida joe

IMO you cannot go wrong with a multiple safety systems when flooding out your house is concerned. I have a check valve installed as well as a siphon brake. I turn off my sump once a week to exercise the check valve and make sure every thing is working as Bang stated you can have living things interfere with the check valve but you also can have substances in your water flow obstruct the holes you drill in your returns make it a part of your weekly mantanins program to check the holes and exercise you check valve if you are using one