Checking for Stray Electrical Current Question

n2deep

I have a few fish that jerk and swim fast at times. I added a small ground probe but I would still like to check for stray current. What is the proper way to actually measure the amount?

T

thomas712

Cut from one of my ancent posts.
What the voltage or "current" can do to your fish is possable HLLD, kill you fish and corals, and generally cause strange behavior..ie rapid jerky swimming patterns, quivering things like that. The fish have an organ that is called the lateral line complex, with which they dectect changes in the area around them like water movment, other fish, navigation, locating food. They can also dectect stray voltage or electrical current.
You test stray voltage with a voltage meter. They can run 20 dollars on up. You need to turn the voltage meter to the 120 AC Voltage. One end of the probe "black" goes into the ground on a outlet like the screw to the plate of the outlet will do, make sure that there is no paint or dirt on it. The other end ofthe probe the "red" end goes into the tank. Then watch the digital numbers or needle move. IF it does move then you have voltage in your tank. This is nothing new so no one need panic at this point.
Now you need to write down the voltage reading. Lets say you come up with 25 volts. Then start disconecting your electrical equipment one at a time. When the voltage goes down figure the difference and write that down as well, so if you unplug the heater and the voltage drops to 12 then your heater was giving off 13 volts alone and should be replaced, I have had that happen on a glass heater, and replaced it with a won pro heat. do this for all electrical equipment and replace as nessessary.
Does this mean that you will read 0 volts...NO Saltwater ions flowing will actually generates an electrical current, this is why some will say that ALL tanks have stray voltage.
Voltage enters the tank by several means, one of which is called induction which is the process by which an elecrtic current, or electric charge, or magnetism is produced by the proximity of an electric or magnetic field...ie powerheads other water pumps. If you use fluorscent lights they will have a strong electric charge inside the tube, and bubbles that break the surface of the water or fish that splash will spray saltwater and if that comes in contact with the lights it could provide a path right to your tank . Thats happend to me too.
It is important to note that even if you use a ground probe that you must as a matter of routine maintanance pull the probe out of the water and test your voltage with a voltage meter.
I do know that when I built my ground probe (which cost me about $3.50 to make) I no longer had the problems that I was having.
Thomas

dogstar

Use a voltmeter and put the Neg. prong into the ground slot on the electric outlet and put the Pos. prong in the tank water.

T

thomas712

This is a report on my success in making my own ground probe after detailed assistance and recieving some education about stray voltage and such. This was back when I had my 55 setup and was drawing 13.21volts from my electrical devices, namely a bad heater and my saddle filters.
I called around town and on the third call the bike shop told me that they do have some titanium spokes that they do not use anymore and that I could have the lot for $10.00, I told them that I only needed one for a DIY project and they told me to come on down and we would work something out. THEY GAVE ME THE ONE FOR FREE! can't beat that! Then a trip to Lowe's where I purchased the following: 1 package shrink tube = $1.60; 1 grnd clamp =$1.44 and some 14 copper wire 6 foot long = 0.48; I had the crimping supplys so no cost there.
I cut a 4" peice of the spoke after buffing and shining it and cleaning. Striped both ends of the wire, putting the spoke and wire together I crimped it and heatshrinked it. Cleaned the copper water pipe with a fine abrasive paper, and just for good measure applyed Alnox electrical joint compound on the pipe and the open end of the wire. Attached the ground clamp to the pipe, screwed in the wire, and set the probe end in the tank. Then I crossed my fingers and pulled out the voltage meter. Get this .001v!
At the time I made this ground probe I felt it was quite and achievment for me, and my fish that I had at the time after adding this ground probe calmed down and relaxed, you should have seen them before hand, spazzing right out.
The part about the copper pipe is where I attached it to the cold water pipe in the house where, most houses are ground. A great deal of homes will have the ground rod right under the weather mast where the electric meters are, you should find a coppper wire attached to it leading into the home attached to the cold water pipe, and thats why I did it that way.
So as you can see this ground probe cost me even less than 4 dollars to make myself.
Thomas

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Thomas712
This is a report on my success in making my own ground probe after detailed assistance and recieving some education about stray voltage and such. This was back when I had my 55 setup and was drawing 13.21volts from my electrical devices, namely a bad heater and my saddle filters.
I called around town and on the third call the bike shop told me that they do have some titanium spokes that they do not use anymore and that I could have the lot for $10.00, I told them that I only needed one for a DIY project and they told me to come on down and we would work something out. THEY GAVE ME THE ONE FOR FREE! can't beat that! Then a trip to Lowe's where I purchased the following: 1 package shrink tube = $1.60; 1 grnd clamp =$1.44 and some 14 copper wire 6 foot long = 0.48; I had the crimping supplys so no cost there.
I cut a 4" peice of the spoke after buffing and shining it and cleaning. Striped both ends of the wire, putting the spoke and wire together I crimped it and heatshrinked it. Cleaned the copper water pipe with a fine abrasive paper, and just for good measure applyed Alnox electrical joint compound on the pipe and the open end of the wire. Attached the ground clamp to the pipe, screwed in the wire, and set the probe end in the tank. Then I crossed my fingers and pulled out the voltage meter. Get this .001v!
At the time I made this ground probe I felt it was quite and achievment for me, and my fish that I had at the time after adding this ground probe calmed down and relaxed, you should have seen them before hand, spazzing right out.
The part about the copper pipe is where I attached it to the cold water pipe in the house where, most houses are ground. A great deal of homes will have the ground rod right under the weather mast where the electric meters are, you should find a coppper wire attached to it leading into the home attached to the cold water pipe, and thats why I did it that way.
So as you can see this ground probe cost me even less than 4 dollars to make myself.
Thomas

I have to try this myself, very good thing to know!!

drea

a lil confused... where do i buy this voltage tester? at a lfs? or home depot?
and can i just buy a grounding probe?

tinmanny

How old is your house homes with 3 prong outlets are groundrd at the electrical box and you can screw right to the coverplate screw of the outlet to get a good ground also
Good luck whatever you do

1journeyman

Originally Posted by drea
a lil confused... where do i buy this voltage tester? at a lfs? or home depot?
and can i just buy a grounding probe?
Yes to both questions. (home depot anyway)