Checkout my new powerheads

jpa0741

I bought 2 for about $40 a piece with shipping. They put out 2800 gph. It is 2 PH molded into 1, with 2 motors and props. By doing that it puts out alot of water with a wide gentle flow. The quality of the shroud is about as good as the Koralia. We will see how they hold up.

jpa0741

They came straight from China. Alot of people in the UK use them and like them. Like I said I paid about $40 a piece with shipping. They were only $28 but shipping from China is a bit expensive. I seen on another site, they were doing a group buy and getting them for something like $33 a piece. The brand is Sunsun. I don't know if they are worth it yet but so far I am impressed. We will see how long they last. I can't say where I got them as per the rules of the site.

jpa0741

There is stray voltage in all tanks when using a volt meter, so that wouldn't show much. If there was any significant voltage I would get shocked and or pop the gfi, which has not happened.

snakeblitz33

Could you measure the voltage before and after you turn the powerhead on to see if it changes much? And if it does, by how much?

jpa0741

I will tell you I know my lights introduce the most electrictity to the water. And they don't contact the tank in no way. They are hanging from the ceiling.

teresaq

what did you do about the plug. Is it a regular US plug or Hong Kong plug and you need a converter.
T

scsinet

It's not all that uncommon for submersible equipment like powerheads and heaters to lack UL listing. I don't think the Koralia powerheads are even UL listed.
In fact it happens so often in this industry that when a piece of equipment is UL listed, manufactuers advertise it like a "product feature" whereas if you bought something ordinary like an electric fan, table lamp, etc, it would be just taken for granted that it's listed.
By the way, you can't accurately measure stray voltage with a multimeter, so I'd say you are safe if you have a GFI and a grounding probe. If you have just a GFI, you could have a problem that goes unnoticed until until something grounded touches the water. But if you have a grounding probe as well, and you regularly test your GFI, you should be able to rest pretty easy.
I can't imagine though that these powerheads would be any more risky than anything else. Most of this stuff is made in China or someplace else like that anyway, regardless of who's name is on the label.

spiderwoman

Is that the knockoff Chinese ph? Be very careful with them. They look almost identical to Koralia's and we have them in our water storage containers. I would not trust them in a DT. One of them stopped working after 3 months without a warning.