Chemicals....

sillynecco

Im going to be easing my way into corals over the next few months, I upgraded my lights, use RODI water, and now my question is: This website sells tons of additives for reefs. Im kind of confused on what each one does, and when and if you need to use it.
I was always told to be as natural as possible, but a lot of the produts say to use them to compensate for elements lost in ozone, skimming, evaporation, and the such.
any good advice or threads you know of that will clear up this confusion?

pallan

ive often heard you should not add anything you are not testing for.
and your right to try to keep the system as natural as possible. If using a good quality salt and do you water changes regularly your levels should stablize and not need to many additives in the beginning. i assume it may all depend on your bioload of corals, i have a very low load of corals so no dosing of anything is needed. IMO.

steve24

Originally Posted by Pallan
ive often heard you should not add anything you are not testing for.
and your right to try to keep the system as natural as possible. If using a good quality salt and do you water changes regularly your levels should stablize and not need to many additives in the beginning. i assume it may all depend on your bioload of corals, i have a very low load of corals so no dosing of anything is needed. IMO.

i agree, i do small weekly water changes...
seems to be workingfor me