Chemistry Concern.

2quills

Halides produce u.v. B which is why they're supposed to be shielded. The u.v. leds that most everyone is running produce u.v. A (actinic range) so not near as harmful. Lenses and splash shields act as filters even if they were.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/394477/chemistry-concern#post_3511217
Just a thought: I have on blue and white and have great color and growth. People that have come to see my tank are convinced that I have colored LEDs until I open the canopy and show them. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe my tank isn't the norm. But my husband has built fixtures for many people and most do not do the additional colors and end up with the sane results I've had. He has built fixtures with the additional colors and when I test them on my tank , I'm left unimpressed.
A note about UV: I'm not sold that its safe. Lets think about it, metal halide double ended bulbs produce great UV. And we put a uv filtered glass between them and our corals
Agree with Corey's post earlier.......UV isn't harmful if done correctly and the LEDs that are currently on the market aren't truly UV as they are labeled.....DE bulbs do put out UV, but that's why there is a glass shielding needed as Seth found out.......The so called basic "UV" leds that most used are more to get color "pop"

shane784

Get better bulbs and test kits.
How old is this setup?
I've done EBay frags, they're always brown. The sellers will claim that they "browned out in shipping" but it takes longer than that. They can make a come back as long as they haven't turned white or shed their skin.
What types of SPS did you purchase?
Also, do you run carbon?
Do you have leathers?
the tank is about 5 months old..
I bought 2 acropora, 1 dendro that hasn't shown any polyps. 1 xmas favia that died, 2 cyphastrea that aren't colored up fully. I do not run carbon and I think I have a "cabbage leather coral" hitchiker growing

acrylic51

What color temp of whites?? All blues or a mix of blue and RB??? Your way to vague in your explanation of the setup. By what you described that wouldn't produce a 10k look and if using all blues would appear as winded as well

btldreef

the tank is about 5 months old..
I bought 2 acropora, 1 dendro that hasn't shown any polyps. 1 xmas favia that died, 2 cyphastrea that aren't colored up fully. I do not run carbon and I think I have a "cabbage leather coral" hitchiker growingThe tank is still young. It may not be stable enough for SPS. What type of filtration?

shane784

I clean it every friday but its a fresh screen n not much growth. lights are on it from 6pm till 12pm. :/