chemistry help needed

geoj

In general if it is a liquid it will only maintain your dkh till you do a water change. If you want to raise your dkh you need to use a powder. I like Seachem Reef builder to raises carbonate and Reef advantage calcium for calcium. You use these to balance the chemistry. I also like Kalkwasser dripping. Kalkwasser will maintain the chemistry you create with the others, for a good long time.
A very good book on this is Marine Chemistry, by: Brightwell
After I get flamed
you can PM me for any help dosing if you like to learn...

jsab

Test kits came from a mail order company about a month ago. didn't seem bad, and in good condition new in bag, but now I'm not sure. I have been dosing with Kent A&B. The A seemed to be the Calcium and the B the buffer. Although when I placed the buffer in the sump, the milky substance would precipitate a bit. It kinda confused me, since the Kent Buffer that I had been using didn't precipitae, and just got milky in suspension. From what I gathered, the B was the bufer with trace elements and stront and molyb. I haven't been dosing kalk, but am more than willing to try. The guys at thr LFS told me they just dumped in thier sump...and after reading the boards, boy were they doing dangerous habits. I can see how SLOW dripping is the correct way. I will set up a slow drip and give it a try after I get these parameters correct. Going home soon to test dKH again today and see whats up. I will dose again with buffer this afternoon if the test kit still reads low. Thanks guys for your help.