cheto too much?

1tang2nemo

I bought a hand full of cheto about 6 months ago and it has since grown into a forest. I was wondering when should I trim it and can you have so much it is bad on the system?

miaheatlvr

THat doesnt look like Chaetomorpha algae but more like Caulerpa, anybody concur? What is that tank hooked up to? Because cutting it will or might release spores into your tank.

1tang2nemo

its hooked up to my 45 display. anyone know what it is Chaetomorpha or Caulerpa?

marvida

It looks like razor caulerpa to me. Other than cheato it's my preferred macro. You can trim it at any time.

1tang2nemo

ok thanks for the ID do you think it can ever grow to much that it could hurt the system?

marvida

It can grow to the point that there's no more room for it to grow. I don't think it can hurt the system but keep in mind that the whole point in having it is for nutrient export. Unless your macro is able to grow it doesn't use up excess nutrients.

1journeyman

Definitely does not look like Chaeto to me.
It needs to be identified as different macros behave differently. Some can release nutrients back into the water during reproduction cycles.

marvida

It's fine. This type is pretty safe. It's very invasive & you don't want it in your display tank but it doesn't do the reproductive thing as often as grape & a few of the others. Keep it trimmed & growing and it will do well for you. If you noitice it turning white take that part out. As far as ID I think it is:
Common Name:
Razor/Saw-tooth Caulerpa.
Scientific Name:
Caulerpa serrulata
Fast growing macro-algae.

1tang2nemo

no it doesn't look like that I will post a better pic later

1tang2nemo

never mind it does look like that thanks everyone. Do you think I can feed it to my yellow tang?

1tang2nemo

well I put it in and he won't touch it. I really would like to grow somthing I could feed my yellow tang, any ideas?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by 1tang2nemo
well I put it in and he won't touch it. I really would like to grow somthing I could feed my yellow tang, any ideas?
Chaetomorpha algae