chevron and coral beauty

bruby

First of all, Hello to everyone. I have been reading this board for a long time but this is my first of many posts. I have recently moved into a 100 gallon and am going to stock with reef safe fish. I thought I already had a plan for what and when to stock. Today I just added the first fish to my new tank: a mated pair of pink skunks (with Ritteri), 2 Citron gobies, 1 Diamond gobie, and a Coral Beauty. Next week I was planning to add a Chevron and a Naso. ( I know, I know, I will need a bigger tank in the future) My question is whether the markings on the Coral Beauty and the Chevron are too similar for them to get along? I don't think so but am interested to hear from everyone else. Thanks in advance.

michael7979

I wouldn't put both tangs in that tank. One surely will harrass the other. And I'd wait awhile longer before adding ANY more fish. You just added 5 fish and the tank is new, right? Give the tank and biolgical time to catch up with the new load you have added. My $.02.

nomad

Yes, you need to wait a month. You could get the next fish now and put it quarantine now and it will be ready in an month to join the other fish in the main tank. Putting livestock in too fast is just asking for a crash.

carshark

yes that is too many fish at once, but i am going to disagree with the statement made on not adding two tangs to the tank, they are not even close to the same body shape, and they have different diets and different natures, as well as the tank is big enough that until they get used to each other, the coral can get away or vice versa(not likely the other way around but...)
just my 2 cents

edit: i just reread the statements above, he neve rmentioned two tangs, only one! the chevron is a butterfly, the coral is an angel, and the naso is a tang, i think he'll be just fine!

oceana

there is a chevron tang and a butterfly. i thing everyone just assumed he was talking about the tang because he talked about the color being the same as a coral. IMO the only thing they have in comon is the color

bruby

Thanks for all the advice. But we kind of got away from the original question which is my fault for giving too much but only part of the information. Yes this tank has only been running for about ten days now, but I moved all of the live sand from my other tank (about 60 lbs + 40 lbs of new live sand) all of my LR and 75% of the water from a tank that was already established. I moved my Fluval (with biological) over plus I moved the biological from my last wet/dry to the new wet/dry and I let it run on my old tank for 6 weeks before getting the new tank. So really the only new thing about this tank is the glass that holds it all. My original question comes from seeing quite a few Chevron Tangs that are sort of orange in the center and purple around the edges alot like the coral beauty. Plus I read on another website that Chevrons will sometimes harass Pygmys. Has anyone had experience with these 2 fish together?

oceana

yes you can have the coral and chevron together.
yes the should be ok.
yes you should wait atleast a month for your system to catch up

poiboy

My CB bullied my chevron for a day and then he got the tables turned but now they are best buds. I'd make sure you get a chevron a little bit bigger than the CB if the CB is already established in the tank.

acrylic51

I still wouldn't stuff a Chevron Tang in a 100 gallon tank eing that new regardless and I don't think the Tang will thrive in a 100 gallon tank with the others!!!!!!JMHO