Chicago area LFS

mantynova

Going to be in the Chicago area next week for work. Interested in replacing cc with ls. Wondering if any of you live in the area and would recommend a LFS in the Chicago or Rockford area. I recently moved to Dubuque, IA a while ago and looking for a good LFS in the area as well.
One more question, what's the going rate for dry sand at a LFS. Looked for sand at local do-it-yourself stores and didn't find anything.

flydan

Hey,
I live in Rockford. Only one so-so lfs here and not worth a special trip. I used to live in Schaumburg (Chicago west suburb) and I liked Advanced Aquatics on Roselle Road. I also went to Beyond the Reef and was not impressed. Fairly good selection but pricey. A Splash of Life is a good one out near Elgin but they have limited store hours so call first. That one is worth the trip.
If you get out near Janesville, WI there is another good one.
Not sure on prices of sand. I'm sure someone else can help with that.
HTH,
Dan'l

flydan

Hey,
Yup!:joy: Good prices and good selection. The main fish guy there is pretty knowlable. I think his name is Thomas.
If you want the name of the one in Rockford let me know. It's fairly close to the interstate near Magic Waters.
Dan'l

jarice1978

A new Petland is opening on Butterfield and Naperville Rd. in Wheaton. I had a hard time finding a good LFS. I found a good Petland in Aurora over on Rt. 59 but I got tired of driving so far to get to it. The first Petland I talked about above is opening on Saturday. It turns out it is like 2 minutes from my house. I hope it is as good as the one on 59.

mantynova

Did a little research. Started calling Home Depot's in the area and actually found "Tropical Play Sand" Can't wait to pick up this weekend.

gkotlin

If your going to be in Chicago and heading toward Rockford, then I have a must stop on your trip. The I travel around the Chicago area for work and this is my absolute favorite store. The staff is knowledgeable and courteous. They have lots of variety. They have a Koi pond, a shark pond that they feed on Saturdays, a stingray pond that you can feed twice a day. They are wonderful. I've been to about 20 different stores in the area and it's my favorite hands down.
It is in Park Ridge IL. Very easy access.
If your heading west from Chicago toward Rockford, you would take interstate 90 toward O'hare airport. You would exit on Cumberland Ave. North. If you get to O'hare or Interstate 294, you went to far. Take Cumberland N. The second or third light is Devon Ave. Turn R and it's immediately on your right. Easy to get to and right off the expressway.

jmick

You can check out Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg. They sell 50lb buckets of oolitic sand for $40 and the owner is knowledgeable

mashawna

I work in the oakbrook area and just off the 294 is a great store by the name of scott's pet store they specialize in fish and they have very nice prices and selection. for all your aquarium needs. They're located at 31st and wolf.